Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Grades....  (Read 2474 times)

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Grades....
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »
but isn't it ugly for everyone? I'm sure that journalists have it worse than lawyers.

The stories that really freak me out are the ones from my school about law review people who have a hard time landing jobs. Or the whispers of people from two years ago still doing doc review.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
It's ugly for everyone, but not equally.  Many firms went on hiring binges in the mid '00s and are now way over-staffed.  This is especially bad for firms who do most of their business with wall st and big finance.

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »
but isn't it ugly for everyone? I'm sure that journalists have it worse than lawyers.

The stories that really freak me out are the ones from my school about law review people who have a hard time landing jobs. Or the whispers of people from two years ago still doing doc review.

Do you have something awesome lined up after you drop out of law school? I think it's better to do doc. reviews than working as a manager at a local gym with Masters in financing or Kindergarten teacher with Bachelors in English.  ::) Think twice about dropping out.
Per aspera ad astra.

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
don't have anything awesome lined up...part of the reason why I ended up in LS, as I strongly resisted going but parents kinda insisted. At least I minimized the debt.

Am thinking, actually, of going back to UG and getting the "real" degree that I should have in the first place. Humanities is such bull, being in the program felt like a jobs bank.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
don't have anything awesome lined up...part of the reason why I ended up in LS, as I strongly resisted going but parents kinda insisted.

So you didn't want to be in law school in the first place? Then disregard anything I've said and what other people said and get out. Don't be in law school because your parents want you to be there... that's a recipe for academic and financial disaster. The only people that should be in law school are people that actually want to be there... not because they were pushed into it, not because they didn't know what to do after graduation.
There are alot more satisfying ways to make a living...
There are alot easier and more reliable ways to make a lot of money...
There are plenty of other opportunities to do something you feel good about doing...
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
don't have anything awesome lined up...part of the reason why I ended up in LS, as I strongly resisted going but parents kinda insisted. At least I minimized the debt.

Am thinking, actually, of going back to UG and getting the "real" degree that I should have in the first place. Humanities is such bull, being in the program felt like a jobs bank.

Try to analyze why your parents thought law school would be a good choice for you. As a parent myself, I know the desire to do the best for your child is sometimes blind to the extent that you don't see the real good.

But on the other hand, your parents know you really well, maybe even better than you know yourself at times, especially if you are distressed by law school peer pressure, exams and such. If they honestly thought law school was your calling, talk to them, you might just need some reassurance in your abilities, parental love and kindness.
Per aspera ad astra.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
I would add that I don't think any one really knows if they'll like law until they actually become immersed in it.  The fact that your parents made you do it or that going to law school was'nt your choice... these things mean a lot less than the fact that you don't like it or want it right now.

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »
a little of both. I was excited about being accepted to LS until I discovered this site and others. I went strongly the other way afterwards -- most of my acceptances were to 30k/yr T2 schools. I think a good chunk of my classmates still aren't *in* to the CW on this site and others...and go by the USNWR.

Anyways, I did end up going...obviously. Part of me did want to go LS...it's possible that if I'd never discovered this place and others I would have done better, I'm not sure.

Anyways, I've heard that ID and PI law isn't so bad...but it is nice having the weight off my mind now. The most interesting education I've received in all of this is actually about how institutions function.