Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worth it to apply to NYU?  (Read 1184 times)

spacecadet

• View Profile
Worth it to apply to NYU?
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
Probably an old question but...

Stats: 166 LSAT, 3.6 overall GPA, 3.9 polisci major GPA from UCLA (was pre-med then switched), minor in Spanish Language.

Soft-factors: Come from single-parent immigrant mother (socio-economic disadvantage?), among first to go to graduate school (including cousins), current Peace Corps Volunteer, volunteered in college, studied abroad in Spain for one year, at least one great academic rec, and will have a peace corps rec. Also, fluent in Spanish and Mandarin.

I know I'm below 25th for NYU. Considering the above, should I even bother applying to NYU this fall just because it's my dream school?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Worth it to apply to NYU?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
Probably an old question but...

Stats: 166 LSAT, 3.6 overall GPA, 3.9 polisci major GPA from UCLA (was pre-med then switched), minor in Spanish Language.

Soft-factors: Single-parent immigrant mother (socio-economic disadvantage?), among first to go to graduate school (including cousins), current Peace Corps Volunteer, volunteered in college, studied abroad in Spain for one year, at least one great academic rec, and will have a peace corps rec. Also, fluent in Spanish and Mandarin.

I know I'm below 25th for NYU. Considering the above, should I even bother applying to NYU this fall just because it's my dream school?

Yes yes yes! You are close enough that it would be crazy not to apply to your dream school, in my opinion. No, you might not get in, but your numbers don't take you out of consideration, and you never know which of your soft factors might catch their eye. Good luck!

Your GPA in your major won't count for much, but if you can tell a compelling story about your other soft factors in your personal statement, then they may help. You never know.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Considering the above, should I even bother applying to NYU this fall just because it's my dream school?

I know someone with the exact same statistics who got into NYU.  I strongly encourage you to apply.

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
your soft factors taken together could be on the front page of any law schools website.  was your father a goatherder from Kenya too? Maybe you could speak at the next convention

Apply!

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
Is saving the money you would have spent on the app fee worth a lifetime of wondering "I wonder if I would have been accepted?"

Apply. Do it, do it now.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »
Apply, but don't expect to get accepted.  I think your GPA is actually what might hurt you.  But, if you don't need that 70 dollars for food, go for it.  You definitely have an above zero chance of getting accepted.

Also, I wouldn't push the "first to go to graduate school".  While this is an admirable trait, I think adcoms are more infatuated with "the first to go to college".  That's a much greater barrier for one to cross.

spacecadet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 03:31:29 PM »
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.