Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamline or St. Thomas (MN)?  (Read 8101 times)

JurisdDoctor33

• View Profile
Re: Hamline or St. Thomas (MN)?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »
I agree w/NMUZ that this has been very helpful for me as a 0L trying to choose a law school.  I have a couple questions and would be interested to know what people think....

1) We have heard a lot of back and forth concerning whether UST will definitively be the 2nd best law school in the State in 10/20/30 years.  I think there is a very good possibility that UST will pass up both Hamline and WM by a substantial amount eventually.  However, assuming that I care about getting a job upon graduation in 2012, will UST have made a big enough move by then to make a difference? 

2) If your answer to question one was "no," can you think of any GOOD reason (not prettier facilities or better TC location) that I'd want to pay about 21k more over three years to go to UST over WM?  Or 38k for UST over Hamline?

3) Does anybody think that hiring a new dean (Donald Lewis) and Hamline's recent rise in the rankings, means they are moving up in stature? 

4) People have obviously shown that WM grads take up a majority of the position in the large TC firms.  However, does anybody think that, with new hiring managers replacing those that started when Hamline was the "new" law school, that we'll see firms looking more to the rankings rather than just taking it for granted that Mitchell is better?  The same goes for alumni... on paper WM has 15k versus Hamline's 5k and UST's 600, but how many of those WM alumni in Minnesota are older... meaning going to be replaced/retire soon.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the schools report anybody that is still alive, not just those still practicing... so how many are over 65 and already retired. 

5)  Right now, w/out living expenses, my options are Hamline at 0k, WM at 17K, and UST at 38k, over three years.  Does anybody want to fight for Hamline with those numbers?  If so, please explain.  If you think WM or UST, no need to reply to this question. 

Again, thanks for all the advice and thoughts thus far. 

You have to take everything that you hear on here with a huge grain of salt.  I obviously am a huge advocate for WM, NMUZ is going to UST next fall, accordingly and understandably a UST advocate. I would really suggest calling several firms and ask to speak with their recruiting manager (all of the top 15 largest firms have one) and ask them candidly which school will give you the best shot at working in their firm someday.  I don't think you will be able to find much more reliable information anywhere.  Also check with local attorneys, and ask the same questions.  This is the same advice that many people offer every year, and most if not virtually all of the incoming students never heed it.  Don't make that same mistake!

As a very practical example of this, consider a OL with an interest in IP work.  There are currently six major IP firms in MN that do not recruit at Hamline or UST during on campus interviews.  If our fictitious OL excelled during 1L but was unaware of this, he/she would be very disappointed come fall OCI.  However, I am very aware that not every student wants to practice IP, or corporate law "downtown."  Whatever your preferences are, just make sure that you understand how well any given school feeds into that area of law - and again, there is no better way to find out then to ask the people you hope will be writing your checks someday.  I can't imagine any school coming out and saying, "well yea it's true, our IP program is not that strong...you might want to consider _____" - that just won't happen. 

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
I can't believe this thread is still going.  Seriously, whoever the OP originally was, take some advice from a practicing lawyer and go to UST.  Anyone who tries to sell you a tier 4 school over a tier 3 school is a troll, or flame.

MSP1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
I guess I can't believe Bosox is a practicing lawyer because he gives such facile advice.  Take it from another practicing lawyer: the U.S. News Rankings are neither an infallible method of measuring law school quality nor an absolute predictor of employment success.  By this guy's logic, you've absolutely screwed yourself by choosing Albany Law (Tier 3) over Buffalo-SUNY (tied for 100). 

Anyway, NMUZ has already made the decision to go to UST.  Some of us are simply responding to his legitimate questions about other law schools in the Twin Cities.  If you don't like the thread, don't post here.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
BoSox,

As the OP, I invite you to stay involved in this thread, and I have already decided on St. Thomas