Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU vs Fordham  (Read 1586 times)

missmarioncrane

• View Profile
BU vs Fordham
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »
I'm still waiting on some decisions to come in, so I may still have a T14 to choose from, which will change this equation. But, as it stands, it looks like I'm choosing between BU and Fordham. I work in NYC litigation as a paralegal right now, so I know what I'd be getting into in New York. I live in New York, I own an apartment here (where I could live during law school), my friends and boyfriend are all in New York. I could work here after law school and be totally satisfied with that. It would be somewhat more convenient for me to stay in NYC I guess, especially given my relationship and the fact that I wouldn't have to pack up my stuff, find a tenant, be a landlord, and so on.

However, I am originally from Boston and my mother still lives there, pretty near BU actually. I like Boston and wouldn't be opposed to moving back there. I could always rent out my New York apartment and find something comparable in Boston (no way am I moving back in with my mom). The boyfriend presents something of a problem, but Boston to New York isn't unheard of. It's only 4 hours. I doubt he'd move, at least not right away. And a BU degree could certainly put me back in New York if that's where I want to be after 3 years...

Thoughts?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BU vs Fordham
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
I don't see why you would uproot your entire life for a school that is basically the same quality.

Not to mention you sound like you want to end up in NYC post-grad.  This is a no brainer.

longhorn33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
I chose Fordham over GW. Carefully weigh the pros and cons.  I think Fordham ultimately will be the better option based on your situtation. Let me know if you would like more info regarding my decision process.

bkln

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
I say BU. You may have to rent out your apartment for three years but you've got the BU name on your law degree for a lifetime.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »
Uhhh, certainly is way too strong of a word.  Possible, yes.  Likely, no.  Certainly, lol.

And a BU degree could certainly put me back in New York if that's where I want to be after 3 years...

Thoughts?

"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

missmarioncrane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
I don't really know where I want to end up post-grad. I think either Boston or New York could be ok. At the moment, I love living in NYC, but I'm aware that I might not feel that way once I'm ready to have some kids, for example. Boston was a nice place to grow up and where my family is.

I don't mean to imply that it is "certain" that I could get a job in NYC with a BU degree, but it seems to happen with more frequency than a Boston job with a Fordham degree. Fordham seems to tie me to New York fairly definitively. I don't know if that's a bad thing.

If I weren't already very settled in New York, I think I would choose BU -- and I don't know how much weight to give the "settled" issue. I don't want to make this decision based solely on what is easier and more convenient for me, right now. But if the degrees would be equivalent I should just stay here instead of uprooting myself. Especially since I've spent the last 6 months renovating this crumbling apartment and would like to be able to enjoy it instead of moving.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
BU.  It's cheaper, better, and is slightly more transferable than Fordham.  Also, it doesn't seem to be as cutthroat..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
I don't really know where I want to end up post-grad. I think either Boston or New York could be ok. At the moment, I love living in NYC, but I'm aware that I might not feel that way once I'm ready to have some kids, for example. Boston was a nice place to grow up and where my family is.

I don't mean to imply that it is "certain" that I could get a job in NYC with a BU degree, but it seems to happen with more frequency than a Boston job with a Fordham degree. Fordham seems to tie me to New York fairly definitively. I don't know if that's a bad thing.

If I weren't already very settled in New York, I think I would choose BU -- and I don't know how much weight to give the "settled" issue. I don't want to make this decision based solely on what is easier and more convenient for me, right now. But if the degrees would be equivalent I should just stay here instead of uprooting myself. Especially since I've spent the last 6 months renovating this crumbling apartment and would like to be able to enjoy it instead of moving.

Based on this post, it sounds like you should go for BU.  The research you have already done seems to indicate greater flexibility with this degree, and the renovated apartment will mean a nice little stipend as a "broke" law student...
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:19:24 PM »
Are you sure you want to be a lawyer?  Law School is a major investment.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
I say go to Fordham.  I don't think there's that large a gap between the schools, and while BU might come out ahead I don't think it's enough to outweigh the other factors that seem to point in favor of staying in New York.