Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top of the class and rejected by every employer?  (Read 8310 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Top of the class and rejected by every employer?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
You mentioned a summer start program, so I'm guessing you're not at a T14 and probably(?) not at a T1.

If I read OP correctly, his/her school requires students to take a class in the summer after the first year.  Definitely no school I've ever heard of.  Would be interested to know which school.

Ah, I did read that.  Doesn't really change the fact that the OP probably isn't at a T1 school (and lots and lots of 1Ls at T1, but outside the T14, are having trouble, too).

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
You mentioned a summer start program, so I'm guessing you're not at a T14 and probably(?) not at a T1.

If I read OP correctly, his/her school requires students to take a class in the summer after the first year.  Definitely no school I've ever heard of.  Would be interested to know which school.

Ah, I did read that.  Doesn't really change the fact that the OP probably isn't at a T1 school (and lots and lots of 1Ls at T1, but outside the T14, are having trouble, too).

Yeah, probably not a highly ranked school, but I still think a top student should get on campus interviews.  Maybe I also made the faulty assumption that other people at his/her school were getting interviews, at least.  OP didn't say other people were having trouble, as well.  I guess that would be important info.

I thought firms tend to do the 1L spring recruiting just to keep up appearances, and they will interview at lower-ranked schools in the neighborhood but only make an offer if the person is outstanding (grades + pedigree + personality).

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »

I realize this is irrelevant since the OP did not mention a summer start program, as you and vap sorted out, but there are at least two T14s with summer starts (Michigan and, for dual degree candidates, Duke) and at least one other T1 school offers summer starts as well (IU-B).   Cardozo, ranked in the mid 50s, also has a summer start program.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

I realize this is irrelevant since the OP did not mention a summer start program, as you and vap sorted out, but there are at least two T14s with summer starts (Michigan and, for dual degree candidates, Duke) and at least one other T1 school offers summer starts as well (IU-B).   Cardozo, ranked in the mid 50s, also has a summer start program.

Agreed that it's irrelevant...but isn't mid-50s T2?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »

Agreed that it's irrelevant...but isn't mid-50s T2?

Yes, I just added it because it is a well-regarded school.  I included Michigan and Duke (T14s) and IU-B (a T1) in direct response to your statement.  I just thought you might want to know that there are summer start programs at some highly ranked schools.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the input thus far. I suppose I should clarify. I was not #1, but was just outside of the top 10%. My resume was reviewed by the Career Services office (and the grade/rank are on there :) ). My school is LSU's Paul M. Hebert school, which is a top tier school (sorry, I don't know what the T14/T1 designate). It requires us to take a summer semester after the first year because upon graduation we have the standard JD and a DCL (Diploma of Civil Law, allegedly analogous to a Bachelor of Civil Law, but that remains to be seen).

I agree that with the economy in the shape it's in with no end in reasonable sight, things will be rough, so that necessarily drains the market. However, I thought that 1Ls, while certainly not indispensable by any stretch, were regarded as a necessity because we can be, more or less, kicked around for much lower pay than any other possible applicant.

I'm finding myself far out of my league with the "firm chasing" that seems to be inherent in the notion of 'networking.' Admittedly, I had thought that generally, firms -look for- the top-ranked students. But, at least on my end, it appears that it really doesn't matter.

Monday, I'll stop in at the Career Services office and ask them a bit about it. I suppose, in the summer, it's back to stripping for me, then.  ;)

jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »
I just read vap's reply; I don't know if the other 1Ls are getting interviews and I have only a broad guess as to who is ranked ahead of me to ask them. So I'm left guessing on my own as to that, I suppose.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
I just read vap's reply; I don't know if the other 1Ls are getting interviews and I have only a broad guess as to who is ranked ahead of me to ask them. So I'm left guessing on my own as to that, I suppose.

You probably aren't doing anything particularly wrong.  I think the main reason you haven't gotten interviews is probably the tough economy.  You just can't rely on OCI to get a job this year despite your excellent grades.  If you are dedicated to getting a paid position, you should look at smaller firms and write them directly.  Also, some government programs offer stipends.  Good luck.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the input thus far. I suppose I should clarify. I was not #1, but was just outside of the top 10%. My resume was reviewed by the Career Services office (and the grade/rank are on there :) ). My school is LSU's Paul M. Hebert school, which is a top tier school (sorry, I don't know what the T14/T1 designate). It requires us to take a summer semester after the first year because upon graduation we have the standard JD and a DCL (Diploma of Civil Law, allegedly analogous to a Bachelor of Civil Law, but that remains to be seen).

I agree that with the economy in the shape it's in with no end in reasonable sight, things will be rough, so that necessarily drains the market. However, I thought that 1Ls, while certainly not indispensable by any stretch, were regarded as a necessity because we can be, more or less, kicked around for much lower pay than any other possible applicant.

I'm finding myself far out of my league with the "firm chasing" that seems to be inherent in the notion of 'networking.' Admittedly, I had thought that generally, firms -look for- the top-ranked students. But, at least on my end, it appears that it really doesn't matter.

Monday, I'll stop in at the Career Services office and ask them a bit about it. I suppose, in the summer, it's back to stripping for me, then.  ;)

As a 1L you need to find work. The most important thing is to have something on your resume so that you can be competitive 2L OCI. Also, at my school, if you are not getting paid you can get school credit for judicial internships, public interest jobs, and unpaid government work. Also, you can sometimes get funding. Go talk to your Career services and ask them what is available as far as funding and class credit goes.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
sorry, I don't know what the T14/T1 designate)

T14= The nationally known law schools that happen to be ranked in the top 14 by U.S. news. Currently (not in perfect order): Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, U.Chicago, NYU, U.Penn, Berkley, Virginia, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, Duke, Georgetown.
T1 = First Tier Schools. Formally T100 (as of last year). Colloquially, the top 50 (since that was T1 for many years and there is currently no T2 in US news)

The fact of the matter is that very few people get jobs from spring OCI, regardless of class rank. Even most people at T14 schools don't get 1L jobs this way in the spring. Everyone I know who got a Summer Associate position 1L year did it through direct mailing and/or networking. Send out lots of resumes and go to networking events and you should be able to find something. Just bust your arse this semester for Fall OCI. That's the one that matters.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?