Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 166: To Retake or Not to Retake  (Read 2872 times)

vasion

• View Profile
Re: 166: To Retake or Not to Retake
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 06:22:50 AM »
mathematically speaking if you scored below your average it is worth it to retake. Chances are you are going to score your average or better when you have been though the stress once and this will improve your standing even with schools that average.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in june we trust.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
mathematically speaking if you scored below your average it is worth it to retake. Chances are you are going to score your average or better when you have been though the stress once and this will improve your standing even with schools that average.

I don't think this is true.  Mathemetically speaking, if a person scored below her average score for actual LSATs, it would be worth it to retake.  It might just be that a person who averaged 170 on practice tests would average 166 on the real thing.

Having said that, I think 166 is one of the toughest scores in terms of deciding whether or not to retake.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »
Normally, I'd say save your money, as a 166 and a good GPA should be as good as gold just about anywhere.  However, since you're shooting for the extreme top of the heap, go for it.  An extra couple of points really does seem to make a difference.  Also, I think you really had a good reason to be mentally out of sorts when you took the test.  If I had a nickel every time I heard "I was practicing in the 170's, but I really scored so much lower," I'd be a zillionaire.  However, your circumstances really were extreme; good luck!