Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Salary to expect at Foreclosure Mill firm?  (Read 2638 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Salary to expect at Foreclosure Mill firm?
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:19:53 AM »
One foreclosure firm has about 300 people working there and 40 lawyers, and has two offices, a headquarters and a satellite.  The clerk job pays 16/hr, but taking the clerk job would be dependent on knowing what the salary prospects at this type of place are. It seems terrible to bring up starting attorney pay when you are going in for a clerk job, but it would make it much easier for me. Does anyone know how much an attorney would start at for a large foreclosure mill type firm?

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Salary to expect at Foreclosure Mill firm?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
I worked at a BK/debt collection mill (with foreclosure department) in Seattle where paralegals made around $15-18 per hour. So, expect a lower range of a paralegal pay if you are a law clerk there. Young attys with 1-4 years of experience made around 45-55K a year. I think these types of firms really suck! Nobody knows your name, large turn over, overloaded with cases. But it is my personal opinion which comes from my personal experience. It may be different for you.
Per aspera ad astra.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
I worked at a BK/debt collection mill (with foreclosure department) in Seattle where paralegals made around $15-18 per hour. So, expect a lower range of a paralegal pay if you are a law clerk there. Young attys with 1-4 years of experience made around 45-55K a year. I think these types of firms really suck! Nobody knows your name, large turn over, overloaded with cases. But it is my personal opinion which comes from my personal experience. It may be different for you.

Thanks. Is it entirely inappropriate to ask the interviewer what starting attorney salary is, at a law clerk interview?  I already have another route I was planning on taking (Be a PD then do private criminal defense), and if this is going to pay me the same as I would make as a PD, I don't think I would do this. 

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »
I worked at BK firm as a paralegal not an atty before I went to law school. I think people in law school are a little more timid to ask for salary range because it's all about reputation. But when I was a paralegal, we always asked what the pay was and never thought it was inappropriate because you have to work in order to support your family not the reputation. So, I'd ask about the pay right at the interview and future perspectives. Others might disagree with me. I think if it's done in a professional matter, the interview would understand that you are also shopping for a good place not the first thing that comes around. I would actually suggest asking about atty salary and potential benefits at such a firm because they are so large that they don't personally care for you. Whatever is set up in their policy, that's what they are going to go by in the long run, not your performance or personality. 

Honestly, I think crim. law is much more exciting than foreclosure mill and about as profitable as this crap.  ;)
Per aspera ad astra.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
Never ask salary at an interview. You ask salary once you get a job.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't ask at an interview either.  You should be able to find out this information in other ways..

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »
Asking salary at the interview could be weird.  Is there any way you could find out the salary of another similar firm, at least then you'd be in the ballpark.  Could you ask Career Services if they have any idea, maybe if they have an alum working at this place who submitted a salary survey or something...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:36 AM »
Never never never talk money at the first interview unless you're asked about it (and that probably won't happen unless you already have a job and are looking to change employers - they may ask you what you make and/or what you're looking for).

But to bring it up is rude and presumptuous, and it's a good way to get rejected before you even walk out the door.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »

Thanks. Is it entirely inappropriate to ask the interviewer what starting attorney salary is, at a law clerk interview?  I already have another route I was planning on taking (Be a PD then do private criminal defense), and if this is going to pay me the same as I would make as a PD, I don't think I would do this. 

MiamaLaw,

If you want to go into criminal law, why in the world would you take a job doing foreclosures? Even if it paid 10-20k more a year, why would you go into a field you're not interested in? Are you looking to work in an area where you'll be happy? Or you'll just make the most money? If it's just money, you shouldn't have gone to law school.   

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
Even if it paid 10-20k more a year, why would you go into a field you're not interested in?

Because barring an LRAP, your student loans stay the same no matter where you go?