Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from T50 school  (Read 737 times)

bball222

• View Profile
Transfer from T50 school
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
I finished the semester with a couple A+ and the rest A's, and am prob in the top 2-3%.  I go to a school that ranks in the upper 50s.  I really like the school I go to, but wonder how much more beneficial it would be to go to a T14 (If I could get in.)   

If I stayed here (and my grades stayed the same), I would probably be one of the top students, would be on law review, would pretty much be going to school for free, and would be pretty likely to be in the running for jobs at top firms. 

Then again, I'm worried that I won't do as well the 2nd semester.  Is it worth it to put in an app to GULC?  Or to try to transfer to a T14 or UCLA at the end of the year?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from T50 school
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
and would be pretty likely to be in the running for jobs at top firms.

Not so fast.  You've done very well, but some firms are exclusively made of T14 (in fact, principally Harvard & Yale with a smattering of other T14's) and the rare, occasional summa cum laude graduate from parts unknown.

I would absolutely transfer if you're interested in corporate law, and I would transfer anyway for the sake of keeping more -- and not less -- doors open. 

As I've said before, this is not necessarily a system I agree with but it's the way it is and I advise people to play the game to maximize their opportunities.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701