Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOT FLORIDA COASTAL SCHOOL OF LAW!  (Read 18655 times)

gatorgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
NOT FLORIDA COASTAL SCHOOL OF LAW!
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
They will try to reel you in with a scholarship offer and their "innovative campus technology" but don't fall for it! It is a joke...a privately-owned, for-profit law school. They only care about your money and bar passage rates. That's it! People who can't get in anywhere else,yeah, they go to florida coastal.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NOT FLORIDA COASTAL SCHOOL OF LAW!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:30:55 AM »
I am sure people have come out of FCSL without a life of depression, homelessness, and despair.  I know someone that goes there and likes it.  I think the best thing you can do is look at LSAC for data regarding schools to get an idea of what the school is really like (I think FCSL has like 20% first year attrition + a ton of transfers out).

I have to give it to them, as a for-profit business, they have a great marketing department, much better than most other schools.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
The problem is that people don't RESEARCH before they make an investment of 3 years of their time and $$$.  I'm kind of on the "well, that sucks for you, but it's your own fault" train right now.  Are they misleading on their website? Sure. But the numbers are there in black and white for anyone who bothers to do research.

gatorgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
over $28,000 a year....people are just paying for their J.D.-and yeah, fcsl has a great marketing department. They're getting paid the big bucks to get people to go there. They accept over 500 students for each entering class, and kick out the bottom 20%-you do the math. That's over 50 ppl gone in just the first year, it doesn't stop there! I'm sure there are people there that like it...they have to! They didn't get in anywhere else so that was their only choice...

jeeze I'm on a rant today huh? I just want to warn people...I really wish someone had warned me!

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »
Here are actually the attrituion numbers:

After 1st year: Academic (63), Other (58) for a total of 121
2nd year: Academic (16), Other (17), for a total of 33
3rd year: Academic (2), Other (0), for a total of 2

By the end of law school, your class will likely have lost at least 150 people.

My point is that you shouldn't have needed to be affirmatively WARNED by somebody.  You should have known those numbers before you ever went there.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
Well, the kick out the bottom 20% to boost their bar passage rates and employment rates.  It's also unfair because by the time they graduate, the students who were at the median after 1L are then the bottom students, just because the worst performers are gone. So their ranking is correct relative to the remaining members of the class, but not to where they stood among the 600 or so they competed with in round 1.

gatorgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
There is absolutely no problem with weeding out people who can't make it through law school. I disagree with the fact that they accept students that cannot get in anywhere else, take their 30 grand, subject them to a solid C curve their first year, and dismiss them-sometimes after their SECOND YEAR! They need to raise their admission standards. Speaking from personal experience, it's easy to fall prey to a scheme like this when you are 20 years old, a little wet behind the ears, and have no family members who are attorneys.

gatorgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
sure that would work...they have more money than they know what to do with. why make the poor kids pay back student loans that got them NOTHING

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
Refunding tuition doesn't work because 1) that's part of the Florida Coastal game plan and 2) you still have your missed year of potential salary. 

I don't really understand how lawyers in the family has anything to do with it.  You HAVE to go to LSAC.org to sign up for the LSAT.  Why in the name of all that is holy, is it so impossible to look up the stats on the schools that are RIGHT THERE on the website??? It is not magic. It's something a 20-year-old should be able to comprehend.  They do need to raise their admission standards, but potential law students probably need to think a little harder before being so willing to give up 3 years/$100k+ in debt.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
I do not really understand why they would be asked to refund tuition anyway. I consider law school an investment, an investment in yourself, and if you did not do the research on your investment and lost out, too bad for you.  I am not being refunded any money by Wall Street for my mistakes in not adequately research stocks I purchased.