Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hope y'all remember me! Need some new advice.  (Read 716 times)

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hope y'all remember me! Need some new advice.
« on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:45 AM »
How's everyone doing? Some of you may not remember me, and some of you may. I need a new course of action.

I've taken the LSAT twice since 2007. I have signed up to take the June 2009 Test and think about applying for the September after that. I originally scored a 154 on my last time around and got accepted into Hofstra's program. After a lot of thought and tough decisions...I decided not to go. I attended my original undegraduate and have been taking courses to gain my Education certification.

I studied a lot last time, but I need a new method. I Know a lot of people come on here and ask - well how should I study? Yadda, yadda and so forth. That's not really what I've come to ask. I know that the books from powerscore help and all that.

I need a new method. A different way of approaching this test. Other than Kraplan courses and the like. I don't think a course was really beneficial, it raised my score, but I think I could have done that on my own. Now, with all of this knowledge I have gained in the past, is there anything anyone here can suggest that would be different than reading the books, or taking a course?

I'm open to all suggestions and wouldn't mind an email if you had the time: TJCCARDCO@aol.com

Thanks in advance guys!
Mike

Ninja1Hater

• View Profile
Re: Hope y'all remember me! Need some new advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Yo, man, WELCOME BACK!!!

I wish you all the best, but I'm confused.  I remember reading your posts back about a year ago, and I seem to recall that you already got into some law schools, didn't you?

Did you just decline the offers of admission?  Are you aiming for a better score so that you can get into a higher-tiered school?

Me, I rocked the LSAT, but I think I'm going to a lower-ranked school because the scholarship's good there.  I know that we'll all get licensed when it's all said and done, and I have plenty of connections to get a good job, so I'm gonna take the money and run.

I wish you the best.  I hope you're doing well.  I look forward to seeing where you go and I'd be interested in learning why you didn't go to the schools that accepted you already.

Thanks, man.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »
I think that your case may call for a bit of unorthodox advice....Considering that you've already done the prep twice for the LSAT, perhaps you ought to look at some non-LSAT-specific aids, then reapproach the LSAT work with that as a groundwork.  Specifically, I am suggesting studying logic and rhetoric books.  Symbolic logic is probably not as important in this case, you need to focus more on the inductive and deductive reasoning sections.  Do you mind if I ask which of the sections you had the most and least trouble with, based on your scores?   That will be important as well...If you are having trouble with reading comprehension, you may want to check out the pathetically-titled "How To Read a Book" by Charles Van Doren (the guy who cheated the gameshow 21 - still a good read, though).  Anyway, hope that works for you!
Mercer University School of Law '12

lsatprofessor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »
Gotta know what your strengths and weaknesses are to tailor an appropriate unorthodox approach but netopalis' advice seems sound.

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:45:29 AM »
Yo, man, WELCOME BACK!!!

I wish you all the best, but I'm confused.  I remember reading your posts back about a year ago, and I seem to recall that you already got into some law schools, didn't you?

Did you just decline the offers of admission?  Are you aiming for a better score so that you can get into a higher-tiered school?

Me, I rocked the LSAT, but I think I'm going to a lower-ranked school because the scholarship's good there.  I know that we'll all get licensed when it's all said and done, and I have plenty of connections to get a good job, so I'm gonna take the money and run.

I wish you the best.  I hope you're doing well.  I look forward to seeing where you go and I'd be interested in learning why you didn't go to the schools that accepted you already.

Thanks, man.

Yeah, I got accepted to Hofstra, was going to attend. Decided not to the 2nd day of orientation due to some personal reasons i would like not to make public. I had to move out and all. It was rough, nothing academic, legal or any problems like that, just personal life.

I want to re-take to get into a school that is a little closer that I can commute to from the Jersey Shore like Rutgers-Newark, Seton Hall or even in Manhattan. Staten Island is way too far and way too annoying of a commute.

Want to go up about 6 points. I took a practice test after not looking at LSAT for a year and scored 3 points lower than I got on my actual LSAT. (-3) so, Im looking at needing to just work on a few areas to raise my score. LG is my strongest.

Thanks,
Mike