Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you get a C in the lower T14, are you done?  (Read 4968 times)

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you get a C in the lower T14, are you done?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »
just curious

Morning Star

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: If you get a C in the lower T14, are you done?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
I guess it would depend on the person's other grades.  If it's A,A-,A-,C, the C would look like an aberration.  B-,B-,B-,C is obviously another story. 
CLS 2011

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
It depends on what you define as "done." If you were hoping for a S.Ct. clerkship or wanted to work for Skadden, then probably. However, if you just want a good market paying job or something similar then you should be fine. Interviewing skills make a big difference as well.

People on this board seriously need to readjust some of their expectations/attitudes. Being in the bottom half of your class at a T14 school isn't the end of the world. No, it won't get you super prestigious jobs right out of school, but you will be just fine in life if you use your head and work hard. I'm sure there are plenty of T2/T3/T4 students that would be more than happy to take your spot.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
It depends on what you define as "done." If you were hoping for a S.Ct. clerkship or wanted to work for Skadden, then probably.

Outrageous Skadden trolling

Psh.  You mean Bosco's outrageous anti-Skadden trolling.   :P

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »
It depends on what you define as "done." If you were hoping for a S.Ct. clerkship or wanted to work for Skadden, then probably. However, if you just want a good market paying job or something similar then you should be fine. Interviewing skills make a big difference as well.

People on this board seriously need to readjust some of their expectations/attitudes. Being in the bottom half of your class at a T14 school isn't the end of the world. No, it won't get you super prestigious jobs right out of school, but you will be just fine in life if you use your head and work hard. I'm sure there are plenty of T2/T3/T4 students that would be more than happy to take your spot.

You're an idiot.  Are you even in law school?  It's definitely the end of the world.  Nobody wants you.  You're worse than Drew Barrymore in Never Been Kissed.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
It depends on what you define as "done." If you were hoping for a S.Ct. clerkship or wanted to work for Skadden, then probably.

Seriously.  There are about 84 degrees of gradation between S.Ct. clerkship and working at Skadden.  And for the record, I'm not bashing Skadden.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »

Seriously.  There are about 84 degrees of gradation between S.Ct. clerkship and working at Skadden.  And for the record, I'm not bashing Skadden.

Yeah I realize that. I just used the first two things that came to mind. Nevertheless, you'll still be precluded from both if you're in the bottom half at a lower T14. How about we say a Federal District Court clerkship instead?

You're an idiot.  Are you even in law school?  It's definitely the end of the world.  Nobody wants you.  You're worse than Drew Barrymore in Never Been Kissed.

Wally, shut the hell up. I'm sick of your neurotic worrying. You're at Chi and the only thing you can worry about is the fact that you might not get a firm job after graduation. Sadly, you might not, but that's only because you are weird. I know people from T25 schools that have gone to V20 NYC offices that graduated around the median. Obviously good grades are a much better way to go to a big firm, but being in the bottom half at a T14 doesn't mean you can't or won't be successful. Just being a T14 grad will get you in the door at many, many firms in secondary cities around the country. Sure, you may not end up in the coveted NYC spots (although I personally would never go there), but you can still make a dang good living and have a good career. Stop being so unrealistic.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
Exactly so.  After being a 1L at the T3, I made the T14 transfer with very decent marks and the understanding that I'd rather be a generic T14 grad than a "stellar" graduate of a horrible school. 

That advice holds -- the summa graduate of a T3/T4 school beating out the generic graduate of the T14 is an aberration, not the norm.  If you doubt that it's true you should look at any law firm, law faculty or federal court.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Wally, shut the hell up. I'm sick of your neurotic worrying. You're at Chi and the only thing you can worry about is the fact that you might not get a firm job after graduation. Sadly, you might not, but that's only because you are weird. I know people from T25 schools that have gone to V20 NYC offices that graduated around the median. Obviously good grades are a much better way to go to a big firm, but being in the bottom half at a T14 doesn't mean you can't or won't be successful. Just being a T14 grad will get you in the door at many, many firms in secondary cities around the country. Sure, you may not end up in the coveted NYC spots (although I personally would never go there), but you can still make a dang good living and have a good career. Stop being so unrealistic.

NOT IN THIS ECONOMY!!!!

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
so i didn't end up getting a C, and i'm happy about that.  probably not law review bound, though.  life goes on. 

what did shock me, though, was that D's were given out in every one of my classes. i was under the impression that that's not supposed to happen at t14 schools.  i guess i was wrong.