Law School Discussion

Can someone tell me how RA gigs work?

Can someone tell me how RA gigs work?
« on: February 03, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
If I am unable to secure anything during OCI, there is one professor that I would really enjoy working for this summer. Can anyone tell me how that works? Do I contact the professor? Do they contact students they want? Thanks for any help.

Re: Can someone tell me how RA gigs work?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
I was an RA my first summer, I applied to a professor who sent out an email asking for RAs. But I think if there is someone you are interested in working with, there is no harm in contacting him and asking if he is looking for someone. Or if he isn't, does he know anyone who is? I think it's a decent summer job for a 1L and I think it was a positive on my resume for 2L summer employment.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:43:27 AM »
I had one professor ask me to RA for him and another made an announcement in class that he was looking for an RA, I applied and got the spot. I think it can be a great gig as you can get to know a proff and really learn a lot about how they think though problems, come up with research topics and go about forming their ideas and ultimately generate scholarship. This sort of experience is really useful if you are thinking about academia in particular but is probably useful in a general sense as well. Also, some of your professors may do legal consulting and may higher RA's to help with their legal work in that respect which would be more useful if you plan to practice.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »
Many professors ask their top students to be RAs.  Others do send out a school-wide call for RAs, where you can submit your resume, etc to get the position.  I don't think it is right to put a particular professor on the spot about being an RA.  If they want you to work for them, they will ask you.