Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How will you discipline your children?  (Read 2577 times)

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How will you discipline your children?
« on: August 18, 2005, 08:25:46 AM »
Will you beat them?

What are some things you will instill them?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: How will you discipline your children?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 01:14:06 PM »
You've gotta let them know the pecking order early.  If you don't show (somehow- methods differ) that you are the boss by the time the kid is 3, he'll never get it.  And you'll be stuck with a teenager you cannot control.  Also, if you do not teach your children to defer to authority early, they will have trouble with teachers, bosses, etc. throughout their lives.  Being tough when they are very young is hard because they are sooooo stinkin' cute, but it's necessary.  My kids are 12 and 10, and I can scare them straight with just one look. 

And you know you have a good kid if the general public tells you so.  Sure, your kid is gonna show his ass at home, but if he's polite and well-mannered in public (at school, at friends' houses, etc), you're on the right track.  My daughter's 2nd grade teacher said to me, "Megan is very bright, but I have to say her greatest gift is her kindness."  I almost fell off the chair laughing.  Earlier that morning she called her sister a jerk and told me my butt was big (she got disciplined for each, mind you), but she knew her place at school, and that's important.

**For the record, I spanked on the butt.  However, after the age of 6 or so, it's no longer necessary.  A certain look, or the threat of a spanking (never threaten if you are not going to follow through), can do the trick.  In fact, we saw some kid throwing a major tantrum at the mall one day, and my one kid turns to the other and said, "Mom would have beaten our butts for that one."  They know the rules and they know who enforces the rules.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

XYZZY

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:52:24 PM »

Spank me

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:29:57 PM »
I was spanked (once or twice) as a kid. I don't know if I'd do that... aren't there some kind of time out techniques that parents use now? But I would definitely do what was needed to get my kids to respect authority and act properly in public. And I would spend a lot of time trying to encourage them to be curious. My parents were so good about that... always saying, "That's a good question!" or "That's a good observation!" or asking, "What do you think about that?" I think our dinner table and car trip discussions about society, life and politics were the foundation of all sucess I have had in school. I would also make my kid read. Read to them a lot when they are young. Teach them how to read at home. Have silent reading time every night. And another thing I would do is try to instill a pride in our nation's public assets. Take them to the library, museums, parks a lot. Vacation at national parks. Try to make them feel like they are part of a great country which is more than just a collection of private back yards.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:40:32 PM »
Any others?

Sands, Joxie, 3Feet, etc . . . ?

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 03:42:05 PM »
Dragon Kick...it provides the ultimate solution to every bad child. The good thing is that you only need to do it once and the impact will last a life time.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 03:51:47 PM »
Dragon Kick...it provides the ultimate solution to every bad child. The good thing is that you only need to do it once and the impact will last a life time.

Lest ye forget... an ill-placed dragon kick can cost hundreds in dental bills.  And then there's the explaining you'll need to do to Children's Services.   :-\

3.0 (3.82), 166

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 03:59:56 PM »
You've gotta let them know the pecking order early. If you don't show (somehow- methods differ) that you are the boss by the time the kid is 3, he'll never get it. And you'll be stuck with a teenager you cannot control. Also, if you do not teach your children to defer to authority early, they will have trouble with teachers, bosses, etc. throughout their lives. Being tough when they are very young is hard because they are sooooo stinkin' cute, but it's necessary. My kids are 12 and 10, and I can scare them straight with just one look.

And you know you have a good kid if the general public tells you so. Sure, your kid is gonna show his ass at home, but if he's polite and well-mannered in public (at school, at friends' houses, etc), you're on the right track. My daughter's 2nd grade teacher said to me, "Megan is very bright, but I have to say her greatest gift is her kindness." I almost fell off the chair laughing. Earlier that morning she called her sister a jerk and told me my butt was big (she got disciplined for each, mind you), but she knew her place at school, and that's important.

**For the record, I spanked on the butt. However, after the age of 6 or so, it's no longer necessary. A certain look, or the threat of a spanking (never threaten if you are not going to follow through), can do the trick. In fact, we saw some kid throwing a major tantrum at the mall one day, and my one kid turns to the other and said, "Mom would have beaten our butts for that one." They know the rules and they know who enforces the rules.

twarga, you great american.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 04:25:27 PM »
You've gotta let them know the pecking order early. If you don't show (somehow- methods differ) that you are the boss by the time the kid is 3, he'll never get it. And you'll be stuck with a teenager you cannot control. Also, if you do not teach your children to defer to authority early, they will have trouble with teachers, bosses, etc. throughout their lives. Being tough when they are very young is hard because they are sooooo stinkin' cute, but it's necessary. My kids are 12 and 10, and I can scare them straight with just one look.

And you know you have a good kid if the general public tells you so. Sure, your kid is gonna show his ass at home, but if he's polite and well-mannered in public (at school, at friends' houses, etc), you're on the right track. My daughter's 2nd grade teacher said to me, "Megan is very bright, but I have to say her greatest gift is her kindness." I almost fell off the chair laughing. Earlier that morning she called her sister a jerk and told me my butt was big (she got disciplined for each, mind you), but she knew her place at school, and that's important.

**For the record, I spanked on the butt. However, after the age of 6 or so, it's no longer necessary. A certain look, or the threat of a spanking (never threaten if you are not going to follow through), can do the trick. In fact, we saw some kid throwing a major tantrum at the mall one day, and my one kid turns to the other and said, "Mom would have beaten our butts for that one." They know the rules and they know who enforces the rules.

twarga, you great american.

That means a lot to me coming from you, Julie.  Thank you... and I didn't vote for Bush.   ;)

3.0 (3.82), 166

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 04:34:18 PM »
This will answer everybody's question in regards to beating their kids.
http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.htmlhttp://
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace