Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. Louis Status  (Read 1020 times)

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
St. Louis Status
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
My status went to decision mailed on Monday 2/2/09.  Checking on LSN, there has only been one person rejected and four waitlists, and a ton of acceptances.  I have a 150 lsat and 3.59 gpa do I have a shot at being accepted?  I did select both ft and pt on my application but they have not accepted anyone to pt yet either?  Do I actually have a shot?

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: St. Louis Status
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
I would say you do - probably a one in four shot if i had to guess.  I am not sure about part time acceptances, but I have heard of some people being admitted conditionally upon completion of a summer program.  I don't know much about that.

I was accepted with a 154, which isnt far off from where your at.  Something SLU keeps in mind is that a ton of applicants apply there as a safety for Wash U, and that a lot of students cant afford it.  So close to a 1000 offers equals roughly 250 enrolled students.

As a native St Louisian, I can tell  you SLU is very regional and having contacts in the local legal circles could make a huge difference.  Also where you went to undergrad (and even high school!) will be noticed.  What other factors do you have?  School attended, minority status, work experience, etc.?

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
Sadly I don't have much more to offer.  I am white, I have had a handful of meaningless jobs, I went to high school in Illinois, and college at Northern Michigan.  There is something that is working on my applications though because I have been accepted to both St. Thomas (MN) and Hamline with a 154 and 152 25% LSATs respectively.  So I am hoping that my luck runs for just a little bit longer

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »
Good luck!  Maybe I will see you around campus.  I would only recommend SLU if you are planning to stay in St Louis for atleast 3 yrs post graduation.  In STL its a boost for you, outside of STL the tuition isn't worth it.

I want to practice in STL... but am trying to rationalize it to myself paying that much $$ when I have much cheaper options at equally reputable schools.

wvu10is

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
Are you applying Full time or part time? I got in part time with 155 and 3.58. I did not go complete until the middle of december. I am very excited about SLU, it seems like a very good school, better than what it is ranked. Good luck!

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »
I applied to both full time and part time programs

soccer14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
I was accepted to SLU a few weeks ago with a 156 3.25GPA.  I am also sweeting the high tuition.  I am from STL and want to stay there, but the reality of coming out of school with around 150 in debt is a little duanting.  But, from freinds that have gone to SLU, the tuition is worth it, if you want to stay in St. Louis, which is what I want to do. 

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
I ended up being waitlisted and I am not going to accept the waitlist becuase of other offers and a pressing fiance that needs to get a job.  Thanks for the support

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  I find myself in a similiar position and need to make a decision ASAP, and waiting for deferred schools to make a decision is tough!

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
if you're not from the area, employers may look upon you with raised eyebrows.

As the others have said, SLU is regional.  If you went to high school in IL, have you tried Urbana?