Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is Dean's Certification?  (Read 1770 times)

sbaek

• View Profile
What is Dean's Certification?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I noticed Brooklyn Law asks for Dean's Certification to be completed and sent to them.
What is Dean's Certification and why do they require this when transcript will be provided by LSAC?

Thanks in advance.  :)

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
Re: What is Dean's Certification?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
it provides a clearance regarding academic and non academic behavior/records at your college. It has nothing to do with whether or not you graduated, or your grades themselves. Lots of schools used to ask for it. Many that still do only ask for it  when you enroll. Maybe Brooklyn uses it for Bar Assn Character Committee.
Did you ask them?

ak2ca

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »
A dean's certification is a little nightmare that requires you to strong arm your former educational institutions into sending a clearance to law schools requesting them. After having mine "lost in the mail" THREE TIMES I wanted to head to my UG with a baseball bat and roll some heads. My advice: Be firm -- and ask for the names of whoever is filling these out for you. This helps! Keep fax records or do certified mail, too. Also, if your dean ends up submitting them past the deadline for admission I would have him/her call the admissions office and explain the circumstances.

Sorry for the rant. These have truly been the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE!

As an aside, Brooklyn processed my admission without the dean's certification. Although I would bet that they require it before you're allowed to fully matriculate.

sbaek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Thank you both for your reply. :D