Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review or Secondary Journal [w/ good chance of being EIC]?  (Read 5124 times)

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Law Review or Secondary Journal [w/ good chance of being EIC]?
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
So, I'm at a T25 school and have done well grade wise. I'm curious about peeps opinions on doing LR vs. being on a secondary journal. The caveat is that I'm already a staff writer on the journal as a 1L (along with one other 1L because the Journal is just starting up this year and allowed 1L's to participate in the write-on). So, I'm thinking I could get some kind of editorial position as a 2L, then be able to be the Editor-in-Chief as a 3L. I realize this isn't a sure thing, but I think I have a pretty good shot.

On the other hand, I have great grades and I think I could easily get onto LR as well. I could probably be an Articles Editor or something as a 3L, but I'd like to shoot for being EIC or an Executive Editor, etc. (although I'm not sure how likely this is).

So my two questions are:

1) Which would be better? Are there any advantages to either?

2) If I did LR, how hard is it to become EIC or something similar and what's the selection process/criteria for these positions?

Any other thoughts you have on this matter would be appreciated...thanks!

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law Review or Secondary Journal [w/ good chance of being EIC]?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
Are you sure that's how your journals are set up? At some of the school I know of, elections occur in Feb. or March for the year.  So as a 3L you are already something or you're just a member.

Are you allowed to try for LR or do you have a commitment to your journal? Can you compete for LR while staying on the journal? Could you potentially do both?  I think there are few good reasons for turning down a spot on LR for a secondary journal that has just started up... Whatever you choose will follow you on your resume and firm websites for the rest of your career; I chose the main journal over secondaries that sounded more interesting, and I haven't looked back. 

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
No offense to your journal, but seriously, any position on a school's law review is MUCH better than being EIC of a start-up journal. I seem to recall a discussion about this recently either here or on XO, and the general consensus was that being on the law review in any capacity is better than any position on a secondary journal.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
Law Review. 

EIC will be hard to get, but a staff member position on the LR would probably be better than most ed board positions on a secondary journal (maybe not EIC of a secondary, but you'd get roughly the same benefit from a lesser position on the LR ed board, which means less work for the same prestige).   

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
Is the secondary journal is an area of law you want to practice? How often can you get published on the secondary journal? Iím on a secondary journal and have found it really helped in my job searching because I am interested in the area of law our journal is in and I have been published in the journal 10+ times so some of he people I interviewed with had actually read my stuff becuase they get our journal.

The only chance to get published on our LR is your one Note. People always comment on the number of my publications, but no one has ever said why did you not do LR? Also it gives you something other than your LRW memo to handout as a writing sample. (I also never did the board, I liked writing more and I would not get the chance to publish as much as a board member). But if you have no interest in the area of law and donít plan to use that work to shape your resume then maybe the bump you get from just being a staffer on LR is worth it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
You were one of the examples I was thinking of.  Also, there are a handful of other secondaries that have national reputations. But they are not start-ups.

But be careful about assuming, because different LRs/secondaries have different student publication rules. OP should check into that if publication matters to him.

Red Army 42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »
... and I have been published in the journal 10+ times so some of he people I interviewed with had actually read my stuff becuase they get our journal....

Really?  I happened to head down to the law reviews in the library and only found 2 book reviews, and 3 little one-page court reports. 

If you're lying about this, are you also lying about all the other things you list in your self-congratulatory and self-lauding posts?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »
There is nothing more prestigious than law review within a law school, maybe with the exception of being top X percent of the class. 

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
To the OP.....I would treat this as another attempt by matthies to brag about himself, I would not treat it as good advice.

Huh.  I don't remember you being a jerk...

OP, Matthies has great advice for a certain group of students on the off chance that you don't fit in the conventional mold.  It's definitely not the average 20something fresh-out at a T14 that he's addressing with his post(s).

His journal is a very specific one (and yes, he's published frequently, and anybody who's familiar with his posts can see on its website that his journal publishes book notes and a variety of other field-specific pieces.)  OP, if you're in a position where you know exactly what you want to do and there's a journal starting up that is in your field, there's a chance it'd be worth your while.  Otherwise, Law Review is almost certainly the way to go. 

(At some schools, you can even be on two journals.  My old conlaw TA was at my first school.  Of course, he's clerking for the Supreme Court next term, so he's maybe a little exceptional?)
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
To the OP.....I would treat this as another attempt by matthies to brag about himself, I would not treat it as good advice.

Huh.  I don't remember you being a jerk...

I'm just happy you remember me at all.

OP, Matthies has great advice for a certain group of students on the off chance that you don't fit in the conventional mold.  It's definitely not the average 20something fresh-out at a T14 that he's addressing with his post(s).

I agree.  As a by-product of his bragging about himself, he's a great source of great information on the board.  And I like him.  iirc he's been called out on being self-congratulatory before, and he usually takes it in good spirit.  Don't worry, he's a big boy.  I was just trying to help the OP.

This is a strange post. It's good advice if it's applicable to the OP. Which is why Matthies asked those preliminary questions about whether this is an area of law in which the OP wants to practice and whether it's possible to get published on the secondary journal.

Maybe this is just a lot of tone getting lost in written text.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.