Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DELETED  (Read 1189 times)

Lawsome

• View Profile
DELETED
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:45:43 AM »
Deleted

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DS Topic...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:25:18 AM »
i would say not a good diversity statement, but has the makings of a good personal statement.

Lawsome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
Ok thanks... So what type of thing are they looking for in a Diversity Statement? ???

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:47:59 PM »
What you've described is a growth/personal change type essay, which is more about YOU. A diversity statement is typically something that sets your circumstances growing up as something different from other students.

DS tend to be more about other people and less about you, again the key issue I see in your topic is the GROWTH/CHANGE undercurrent. A similar DS might talk about how your mother's perspective--as the child of someone living in Peru--affected your childhood. Did she hate your friends, have higher aspirations than other parents, were you embarrassed by her (that one is a SUPER common, but possibly compelling topic) etc.

DS -> circumstances/environment (WHERE you came from. PAST)
PS -> personal growth/inspiration/achievement etc (WHO you are. PRESENT).

HTH.

PS: I like the topic as a PS, if you can work it so that you talk about how the experience has continued to affect you. GREAT intro possiblities: "You skip school ONE TIME, and get expelled from the country, by your mom."
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
Yeah, I think that works much, much better as a DS.

The main issue with your other topic as a PS was working it into WHO YOU ARE TODAY, which is really what the PS is about. Do you think you can do that, discuss how your experience in Peru continues to affect your paradigm today?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

I wrote my PS on how I dropped out of HS my jr year to help support my family. Reflected on mother's experience being Peruvian immigrant w/ limited hs education & broken English, and how hard she worked to support us thru my childhood b/c father left and evaded child support for YEARS. I began working FT and then got GED and returned to school. Worked FT and went to school FT, graduated last year...Do you think that could be used as my DS, and I could use my other idea for my PS?

i really think a PS should be about your personal development. if you reflect on what your mom did, however admirable, i think it's more of a college personal statement (i talked a lot about my mom in my college essays)....by law school admission time, you should be reflecting more on your individual growth and why your path has led you to believe law is a field you'd excel in and enjoy (though not in such obvious terms: "i want to attend law school because...."). i would narrow the scope of your PS if you're really discussing all of the above; most schools only want up to two pages double-spaced.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:44:29 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

I wrote my PS on how I dropped out of HS my jr year to help support my family. Reflected on mother's experience being Peruvian immigrant w/ limited hs education & broken English, and how hard she worked to support us thru my childhood b/c father left and evaded child support for YEARS. I began working FT and then got GED and returned to school. Worked FT and went to school FT, graduated last year...Do you think that could be used as my DS, and I could use my other idea for my PS?

i really think a PS should be about your personal development. if you reflect on what your mom did, however admirable, i think it's more of a college personal statement (i talked a lot about my mom in my college essays)....by law school admission time, you should be reflecting more on your individual growth and why your path has led you to believe law is a field you'd excel in and enjoy (though not in such obvious terms: "i want to attend law school because...."). i would narrow the scope of your PS if you're really discussing all of the above; most schools only want up to two pages double-spaced.

I completely agree, except for the whole mom thing. I wrote about other stuff. but she did play a large role in my DS.

OP, I just had one other question? Are you writing these for application fall 08, or 09? I feel like you have a lot of good material, which, given enough time, you could leverage to acceptance at very good schools, or at least more scholarship money. I don't want to see you sell yourself short simply out of impatience.
LSN