Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara vs USF grade curve  (Read 2427 times)

joq888

• View Profile
    • Email
Santa Clara vs USF grade curve
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »
I was wondering if it would be easier to maintain a higher GPA at Santa Clara or USF (for the sake of possibly transferring second year). I've heard that grade curves at both are pretty rough, but I can't figure out which one is maybe less rough.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Santa Clara vs USF grade curve
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:17:32 AM »
USF

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_results.asp

Santa Clara

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_results.asp

USF is brutal, top 10% of the class is a hair above 3.3. Santa Clara's top 10% is 3.71 or so, which looks much better. While it would be easier to maintain a high GPA at SCU I think for transfer opportunities you should be focusing more on class rank.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

joq888

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »
thanks. helpful websites. any idea which you'd choose to spend a year?

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:47 AM »
I think that it would depend on scholarship/requirements to keep it. Both are incredibly expensive, especially when combined with the high cost of living in their respective areas. I'd probably go with SCU though, from my understanding grads from there have do well in the South Bay since the Stanford/Boalt kids abandon the local neighborhood in search of big law jobs.

Whichever one you choose, remember that transferring is notoriously difficult to do and you have no idea where you're going to end up ranked in your class. Only go to a law school that you'd be happy walking out 3 years later with a degree, do not count on transferring.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Davis1L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
thanks. helpful websites. any idea which you'd choose to spend a year?

So the general rule is not to go to a school with the intent to transfer. I mean, you can want to transfer, but don't just assume that you'll be at the law school for a year. Remember, you need to be in the top 10% to transfer (generally), which means you have roughly a 90% chance of not transferring.

That being said, you should make sure that whatever law school you start off at, it's one that you'd be happy graduating from.