Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I Offer Pain and Suffering? - Almost Causing Fire in Roomate's Home  (Read 408 times)

gradthreeL

• View Profile
I've been renting a room in a 2/2 townhome for the last couple weeks.  The owner who lives here was nice enough to let me stay week to week.   Before leaving mid-day today, I forgot that I had left the stove on.  He got home first, a couple hours later, to find thick smoke everywhere in the townhome (note: he has pets too).  Luckily, there was no fire, and everything was okay.  The only damage was to the pot and possibly the fire alarm (due to being worn out).  He ended up being extremely laid back about it.

Would you offer "pain and suffering" / "inconvenience" in addition to the actual damages?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Offer Pain and Suffering? - Almost Causing Fire in Roomate's Home
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:46 AM »
No.  That'll make him feel weird if he's being cool about it.  Offer to buy him a drink or to go out for dinner on you.  But handing him money is a bit awkward.

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Offer Pain and Suffering? - Almost Causing Fire in Roomate's Home
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »
Something similar happened with me and one of my roommates and he helped me clean the smoke damage and bought me a pot that was nicer than what I'd already had and I really appreciated it.