Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Applicants –Accepted Applicants – Think HARD before going to Law School  (Read 2195 times)

vulute

• View Profile
Make sure you really really want to go to law school. The legal profession has really gone down the tube. There are no jobs to be found, law school is overpriced, and their legal market is FLOODED with lawyers. For applicants that just graduated college, or that are graduating this May, do not just apply to law school because you don’t want to face the real world so law school is the next best alternative. As a second year law student, I hear so many of my classmates and friends in law schools throughout the country (some in the nation’s top schools) regret their decision in attending law school in the first place. Although some lawyers which have been practicing since the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s might say otherwise, the hyper-saturation of the profession and the ABA’s inclination of accrediting additional law schools has made the profession a  dying  breed.  For you cynics that don’t want to believe this is the case (regrettably I was a cynic too), think about all your friend, then think about how many of those friends are on the same path as yourself - LAW SCHOOL.  In addition, do some ,research, read some law review articles, you’ll see that the there are no jobs, money (unless you’re law review, 10% of the class, and you’re at a Top 30 School - and for those of you that think oh I can be Top 10 and on LR, beware Law School is super competitive, to a point that it is sickening, and your fellow classmates are all just as smart as you are, they were graduated college with High Honors (Summa Cum Laude)). This is not to discourage, but to wake you up. Think about it?

SamE397

I've thought about the market for recent grads a good deal my thoughts about the matter not to mention a verily decent discussion can be found here http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4017722.0.html

gatorgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
I completely agree with this post! There are schools out there that are just accredited lawyer factories, if you will. You can pay $150,000 over the course of 3 years and have a law degree in the end...doesn't mean you'll pass the bar though! As a former student at florida coastal school of law, I saw the ugly side of privately-owned, for-profit law schools. They ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY! While I knew that going into it, I could have never imagined how horrible it would be once I got in there. I regret everyday not re-taking the LSATs and applying to other schools.
I wish I could start a blog warning people about this?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just one caveat to the "job prospects suck for anyone outside the top 10%" notion - just about everyone from top schools, even the bottom of the class are still pulling big law jobs easily or at least everyone I know, have talked to or heard about. imho if you can get into a T3 school it is still well worth doing and gainful employment is virtually guaranteed. If not a T3 school, then further thought is probably wise.
HLS 2010

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
Just one caveat to the "job prospects suck for anyone outside the top 10%" notion - just about everyone from top schools, even the bottom of the class are still pulling big law jobs easily or at least everyone I know, have talked to or heard about. imho if you can get into a T3 school it is still well worth doing and gainful employment is virtually guaranteed. If not a T3 school, then further thought is probably wise.
Only T3?  Will the economy be so bad that getting biglaw out of CLS, NYU, etc. will become very challenging?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
I completely agree with this post! There are schools out there that are just accredited lawyer factories, if you will. You can pay $150,000 over the course of 3 years and have a law degree in the end...doesn't mean you'll pass the bar though! As a former student at florida coastal school of law, I saw the ugly side of privately-owned, for-profit law schools. They ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY! While I knew that going into it, I could have never imagined how horrible it would be once I got in there. I regret everyday not re-taking the LSATs and applying to other schools.
I wish I could start a blog warning people about this?

"I wish I could have retaken the LSAT.  I wish I could have done better in school.  I wish I could start a blog." 
Stop wishing and do something. 

Did you graduate and pass the bar?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't really really know as much about those outside the T3. I know a few people from those schools and the top quarter or so seem just fine, the rest seem a bit nervous. Not that they won't get jobs, it just doesn't quite seem the virtual certainty that it is for T3's. Anyhow, I don't know enough to say for sure what its like at say CLS,  hence the further thought advice:) I can say with certainty that T3 students have nothing to worry about with respect to big-law employment regardless of class placement. About the worst that I've heard of happening is folks who would probably have gotten into fancy firm X in a better economy ended up in fancy firm Y because X cut back on hiring or something of that sort.
HLS 2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Make sure you really really want to go to law school. . . . For applicants that just graduated college, or that are graduating this May, do not just apply to law school because you don’t want to face the real world so law school is the next best alternative. As a second year law student, I hear so many of my classmates and friends in law schools throughout the country (some in the nation’s top schools) regret their decision in attending law school in the first place.

This is true.  You should go to law school only if you want to be a lawyer.

Although some lawyers which have been practicing since the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s might say otherwise, the hyper-saturation of the profession and the ABA’s inclination of accrediting additional law schools has made the profession a  dying  breed.

How is the legal profession a dying breed?  Because you can't get a biglaw job?   ::)

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I can say with certainty that T3 students have nothing to worry about with respect to big-law employment regardless of class placement.

Have you considered the possibility that things will be worse for this year's 1L's than they were for your class?  I personally think they will be.

And some people just have bad luck and end up going to firms that are in worse shape than they appear.  See Heller, Latham.

And in case anyone's wondering how things are at CLS, they're fine.  Everyone here will get a job.  But there will be some trading down, same as what BikePilot described at Harvard.

Also, I'd like to point out that chances of getting biglaw are not the only things that should be considered in deciding to go to law school.  Kind of ironic for this to be coming from the CLS troll. 

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
  For you cynics that don’t want to believe this is the case (regrettably I was a cynic too),

Wouldn't that be an optimist?  An optimist would hope for the best, whereas a cynic would be what you are being right now.

And another thing, you're a second year student... and we're suppose to value you're seemingly advanced insight into the state of the legal market?  You're a f-ing student. 

There seems to be a distinct inverse relationship to the time you spend speaking and your credibility.