Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Repercussions  (Read 3357 times)

willametterules

Re: Transfer Repercussions
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:00:17 AM »
I just tried to get my transfer certification today from my school, but before they release it, I have to meet with the Dean to talk about my transferring. :-(

I really hope there are no repercussions from this. We are in the midst of on-campus OCIs right now and I have interviews through the school scheduled already. I'm trying to transfer to a top-14 school because I want to be a professor (in the long run). It's going to be an awkward meeting with the dean, that's for sure.

Had to do this as well, wasn't a big deal.  It was more of a, "what did we do wrong?" conversation than anything else.  I was the first of nearly 40, I heard later the meetings got more confrontational as the year went on.  The Dean ended up hiring someone to field the large volume of requests by the summer.  I was honest (and an instant pariah (sp?), for essentially telling the dean that the school misrepresented their scholarship program and employment statistics.  I told him that as a result, I felt it was in my best interests to fully assess my options before I committed to finishing my education at his school.  Meeting ended quickly after that, he disputed my claims, but wished me luck.

Good for you.  Those assholes don't hear that stuff enough.  So many bad schools misrepresent their data in so many ways, it's disgusting.  I understand they are running a business, but for institutions that are supposed to somehow be built on ideas of truth, justice, and ethical behavior, some of those places are just shameless and need to have it thrown in their face more often.

Deleted my previous post accidently!

Anyhow, they were glad to see me leave.  They used my undergrad and LSAT to promote their program and gave me a free year of school in exchange.  I knew what I was getting into.  A lot of people attending lower ranked schools just have no idea what they are buying. 

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:03 AM »
Yeah, the scholarships at a lot of T3/T4 schools are really pretty unethical.  If you are a half decent student they will throw like 20-40k/year at you contingent upon maintaining like a 2.8-3.2.  Now, to a student fresh out of UG a 2.8-3.2 sounds like a cakewalk.  What they don't tell you is that their school curves to a 2.5 and getting a 3.0 requires you to be at the top of the class.  As a result, a LOT of people lose their scholarships and are stuck going 80k in debt to attend a lousy school.

I remember getting 40k/yr from a T3 school back when I was applying and thinking "hmm would be nice to graduate without any debt..."  I called the school to see what % of the class actually gets above a 3.0 and they refused to disclose the information to me.  After further prodding I finally got them to admit that you needed to be in the top 20% to have above a 3.0.  It was funny.. the person said "however, with your LSAT score, that really shouldn't be a problem."  Now, I'm in the top 20% at a school ranked a lot higher than the T3, but still.. in law school you can never be sure where you will be in the class regardless of your LSAT.  I can't believe how irresponsible of a comment that was... oh well..

giant_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:15:29 AM »
Law school is not a romantic relationship. I have taken no life long vows, no till-death-do-us-part bs....I dont see why it needs to be such a cruel breakup...i thought the process would be a peaceful transition without any broken arms or legs, and a sour taste to live with. What is the world coming to?
david taking down goliath is not an exception to the rule, it IS the rule.

Lascar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
My old law school charged me (and all of the other transfers who had registered for the following semester's classes) $250. 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:21:01 AM »
I just tried to get my transfer certification today from my school, but before they release it, I have to meet with the Dean to talk about my transferring. :-(

I really hope there are no repercussions from this. We are in the midst of on-campus OCIs right now and I have interviews through the school scheduled already. I'm trying to transfer to a top-14 school because I want to be a professor (in the long run). It's going to be an awkward meeting with the dean, that's for sure.

I heard that students here at Villanova had to meet with the dean if they tried to transfer... crazy... it is your education.. why make it a hassel and uncomfortable!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »
To give a piece of advice, if you're breaking the news to a dean or the head of admissions at your current school, I would refrain from using academic prestige as a basis for seeking a transfer. I'd come up some other personal reason why you're looking to leave their school.

From my personal experience, I told the dean of my school that I was having a great educational experience at my T4 but wanted to move closer to my family. There were no follow-up questions...she was very supportive of my decision, and offered to provide me with any help I needed in facilitating a transfer.

jeff112

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:05:35 PM »
Law schools who make it difficult for top students to transfer by the means discussed here are doing themselves a real disservice.  I wish it was more publicized, because it really reflects who these schools are.  The same people who are convincing you not to transfer and making it more difficult to transfer generally have credentials from top schools themselves.

Moreover, I've noticed, anecdotally, that the schools that do this are invariably the ones (as mentioned above) which put impossible conditions on scholarships.  They game their own system then express surprise when students capitalize on their own advantages.  It seems beyond hypocritical.

That said, I transferred from a low T2 to a T10 and had no problems.  My old school's professors encouraged me to transfer when they realized my goals and the registrar and deans made no effort to make the transfer difficult.  Transferring definitely has pros/cons, but I can't say it wasn't worth it, based on 2L year at the new school.

Aglaia1852

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
I've been accepted to a Tier 4 school but, the only reason I could really see me transferring would simply be because I want to get a dual degree in something not offered at my school or to move home with my fiance.  Would that be seen as a bad reason to transfer?  Would I be treated poorly for this answer?  I'm not saying it is going to happen but, if it did-I wouldn't want there to be any hurt feelings...

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
I've been accepted to a Tier 4 school but, the only reason I could really see me transferring would simply be because I want to get a dual degree in something not offered at my school or to move home with my fiance.  Would that be seen as a bad reason to transfer?  Would I be treated poorly for this answer?  I'm not saying it is going to happen but, if it did-I wouldn't want there to be any hurt feelings...
That's a great reason.  Along with clerkship, academia, and general post-graduation job opportunities, taking advantage of another school's course, clinical, or degree offerings is a very good reason for wanting to transfer.

I don't understand your question about being treated poorly - by whom?  Your current school?  I think as long as you're sincere and explain the programs you want, they won't feel "hurt."  I don't think you should be worried about that (at all) though.  When you're dealing with your future and you're in an economy like this, you need as many opportunity-openers as you can get.   

My old law school charged me (and all of the other transfers who had registered for the following semester's classes) $250. 
Did you pay it?