Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Repercussions  (Read 3212 times)

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfer Repercussions
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »
Hey all-

I've got a few questions relevant to the transfer process that have just came to light, any insight is much appreciated.

- Is there any truth to the fact that if you "try" to transfer and are rejected or simply change your mind that your home school wil preclude you from law review membership? A friend of mine said he has heard of it happening and i'm curious if 1. it's true and 2. how your home school is able to figure out you actually apply in the first place? (just b/c i request my transcripts sent to LSAC does not mean i'm def going to apply...)

- For those of you who transferred from schools that have year-long courses, how did you go about getting an "lsac" official transcript release for early actions programs such as GULC? Should i expect some major defense from the registrar in attempting to obtain this info?

Thanks alot!
1L...wait, really?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Repercussions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »
Both of your questions are school-specific... I transferred T3 to GULC and the Registrar gave me some minimal problems, i.e. not including my rank unless I separately requested it.  Some schools are much worse, like limiting you to x number of transcripts or denying scholarship funding, etc.

Schools are out to make money, and the lower-ranked JD mills have more reason to need money in this economy.  Good luck.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
Both of your questions are school-specific... I transferred T3 to GULC and the Registrar gave me some minimal problems, i.e. not including my rank unless I separately requested it.  Some schools are much worse, like limiting you to x number of transcripts or denying scholarship funding, etc.

Schools are out to make money, and the lower-ranked JD mills have more reason to need money in this economy.  Good luck.

How does one go about finding this info out without impeaching oneself in the process?
1L...wait, really?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
One particular incidence of "retaliation" for trying to transfer.

From the Loyola Law School (LA) website:
"Students who apply to transfer from Loyola Law School, as evidenced by their request to have their Loyola transcript forwarded to another law school, or their request for a letter of good standing or faculty letters of recommendation for another law school, will be deemed to be ineligible to participate in early OCI (August). Such students may restore their eligibility for regular OCI (September) by enrolling in the Fall semester and reaffirming their intention to remain at Loyola throughout the Fall semester. Students who make false statements of their intention to remain at Loyola may be deemed to have violated the Law School’s Standards of Conduct and be subject to the sanctions which apply to such violations."

lawschool3221

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
I just tried to get my transfer certification today from my school, but before they release it, I have to meet with the Dean to talk about my transferring. :-(

I really hope there are no repercussions from this. We are in the midst of on-campus OCIs right now and I have interviews through the school scheduled already. I'm trying to transfer to a top-14 school because I want to be a professor (in the long run). It's going to be an awkward meeting with the dean, that's for sure.

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
I just tried to get my transfer certification today from my school, but before they release it, I have to meet with the Dean to talk about my transferring. :-(

I really hope there are no repercussions from this. We are in the midst of on-campus OCIs right now and I have interviews through the school scheduled already. I'm trying to transfer to a top-14 school because I want to be a professor (in the long run). It's going to be an awkward meeting with the dean, that's for sure.

What is a transfer certification? Also, are you applying now only to EA programs, and if so which ones besides GULC? I'm curious as to what other schools offer that approach...thanks
1L...wait, really?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
Washington University in St. Louis also offers EA transfer admission.

lawschool3221

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »
The transfer certification just says whether you are in good standing @ your law school.

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »
One particular incidence of "retaliation" for trying to transfer.

From the Loyola Law School (LA) website:
"Students who apply to transfer from Loyola Law School, as evidenced by their request to have their Loyola transcript forwarded to another law school, or their request for a letter of good standing or faculty letters of recommendation for another law school, will be deemed to be ineligible to participate in early OCI (August). Such students may restore their eligibility for regular OCI (September) by enrolling in the Fall semester and reaffirming their intention to remain at Loyola throughout the Fall semester. Students who make false statements of their intention to remain at Loyola may be deemed to have violated the Law School’s Standards of Conduct and be subject to the sanctions which apply to such violations."

Ugh. That is so annoying.  Thank goodness my experience was not like that. Both the administration and the teachers and my school were very helpful and timely in sending my transfer materials to the other schools on time. 

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »

Had to do this as well, wasn't a big deal.  It was more of a, "what did we do wrong?" conversation than anything else.  I was the first of nearly 40, I heard later the meetings got more confrontational as the year went on.  The Dean ended up hiring someone to field the large volume of requests by the summer.  I was honest (and an instant pariah (sp?), for essentially telling the dean that the school misrepresented their scholarship program and employment statistics.  I told him that as a result, I felt it was in my best interests to fully assess my options before I committed to finishing my education at his school.  Meeting ended quickly after that, he disputed my claims, but wished me luck.

Good for you.  Those assholes don't hear that stuff enough.  So many bad schools misrepresent their data in so many ways, it's disgusting.  I understand they are running a business, but for institutions that are supposed to somehow be built on ideas of truth, justice, and ethical behavior, some of those places are just shameless and need to have it thrown in their face more often.