Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY, NCCU or UALR???  (Read 1735 times)

Esquire1920

• View Profile
CUNY, NCCU or UALR???
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
I can't decided which school to attend in the fall. I live in NY so CUNY would be VERY convenient, but I would like to eventually move out of New York, which makes North Carolina Central and University of Arkansas at Little Rock great options.All three schools are in my price range, because I will NOT be taking out loans to attend law school. I do not need anymore debt taking into consideration my career goals and the fact that I am not planning to make 6 figures a year!  ;)

Which school (although they are pretty much on the same level I believe) is better in terms of opportunities etc. (not going after BigLaw so please no 'retake the LSAT' or 'NONE because they aren't T14 schools' posts please. If you do not have any advice that is RELEVANT to my question and THESE schools, please do not respond. Thanks  ;D

SamE397

Re: CUNY, NCCU or UALR???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
What kind of law are you looking to go into? From what I understand CUNY is a very good school if you want to pursue public interest but outside of that I would say go to UofA especially if you don't want to stay in NY.

Also, are you open to other options or is this it?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
UALR, though you should try for THE University of Arkansas if you haven't already.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Esquire1920

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am interested in Public Interest Law (juvenile law) so I know that I won't be swimming in money! Wherever I decide to go I wouldn't mind practicing in the area.

I just want to know which school I would get the best overall experience (academic, social(limited), and job prospects in public interest of course.

Esquire1920

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
P.s. I also got into Widener and Hofstra BUT I feel as though the price tags on BOTH schools are not worth it in comparison to the three schools mentioned above. What do you think?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »
UALR, though you should try for THE University of Arkansas if you haven't already.

I agree with the above statement.

Are you also looking into other peer schools such as University of Oklahoma and University of Mississippi?   

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »

I agree with the above statement.

Are you also looking into other peer schools such as University of Oklahoma and University of Mississippi?   

Excellent question. Oklahoma is a bit numbers heavy based on the schools you're looking at now, but Ole Miss is solid.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Esquire1920

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:44 PM »
I did look into the University of Miss but didn't know much about it so I dismissed it. I will look deeper at that one. BUT ..I couldn't see myself living in Oklahoma so I'm not too interested in that one :-/

What's the difference between little rock and fayettvile? From what I understand they are pretty much on the same level? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was attracted to UALR initially, because of the Out-of State Resident scholarship which offers in-state tuition to out-of-staters.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
I did look into the University of Miss but didn't know much about it so I dismissed it.

You should. It's the best law school in the state. 

What's the difference between little rock and fayettvile? From what I understand they are pretty much on the same level? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was attracted to UALR initially, because of the Out-of State Resident scholarship which offers in-state tuition to out-of-staters.

You should look into THE University of Arkansas too, because it's the best law school in the state.  The University of Arkansas and UALR are the same in terms of cost, the only difference is that UA is in a smaller city and UALR is in a bigger city, BUT UA is more well known and better respected.  Look at it this way, which school is better known and well respected, THE University of Texas or Univeristy of Texas at Arlington?   

Esquire1920

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »
Gotcha! Thanks for the advice! Hopefully its not too late..