Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Negotiation?  (Read 23971 times)

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarship Negotiation?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
You definitely lose out on a huge bargaining chip when you're trying to get more money out of a school that is already your best option (quality-wise, which is how they will think). Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose.

Since your LSAT is a point below their median, you also lose bargaining power. However, your GPA is above their median, so that helps. Otherwise, I suspect that being a non-traditional could help your case. Perhaps you can emphasize that you're contemplating not giving up a career rather than attending law school because of the economy and your debt aversion. Also, if you have any kids or are married, you have more of a case for more money.

At this point, they're probably out of money. But it doesn't hurt to try. And it doesn't hurt to keep trying as people start turning down their scholarships.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »
You definitely lose out on a huge bargaining chip when you're trying to get more money out of a school that is already your best option (quality-wise, which is how they will think). Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose.

Since your LSAT is a point below their median, you also lose bargaining power. However, your GPA is above their median, so that helps. Otherwise, I suspect that being a non-traditional could help your case. Perhaps you can emphasize that you're contemplating not giving up a career rather than attending law school because of the economy and your debt aversion. Also, if you have any kids or are married, you have more of a case for more money.

At this point, they're probably out of money. But it doesn't hurt to try. And it doesn't hurt to keep trying as people start turning down their scholarships.

Thanks for the advice...we'll see how it works.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

SAM34

• 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
Just got an email from St. John's offering me $15,000/year.  I sent them a letter asking to be reconsidered and included a copy of the offer I got from Hofstra.  Also, I went on a visit and took a tour with the Director of Admissions.  She was really helpful and had a lot of useful information.  I have no doubt that this helped me get the scholarship.

nook225

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »
Didn't work at Temple but I just got an offer for 25,000/renewable scholarship from Villanova.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 03:21:38 AM »
I will definately try it out here soon.  If I have a t4 school with full tuition scholarship, do you think that would sway a lower t2 school (ranked 95) to offer some financial aid?  It can't hurt, and I will keep posted.

More importantly for me, I am on three stubborn waitlists.  Should I attach a full tuition scholarship award from a t4?  The waitlists are all t2's - 59, 76, and 100 rankings.  I know we've talked about negotiating financial aid, but could one negotiate admission as well?

Thanks.

Admissions can be negotiated, but you have to be in at a school they consider a competitor.

Harvard, Yale or Stanford (some other top-10's have competed here, too)
Temple, Kent, Miami, Houston, Cardozo, Brooklyn, or Pepperdine
Penn, Columbia, NYU, NU, UVA, Michigan, or Chicago
Fordham, UIUC, UNC, Ohio State, WUSTL, Cardozo, or UW
Vandy, USC, UCLA, Georgetown, WUSTL, BU or Texas
Hastings, Tulane, Davis or Wisconsin, GMU, or UNC

I think you get it. Scholarships? Nope...won't work. It has to be a school they would at least realistically fear losing you to. Schools know their brands, and they know how much relative prestige they have. if you threaten to go to Cal western over Temple, Temple will tell you, "good luck in your endeavors".

GueritaPeloChino

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Really? After you're admitted into Law School, you never see the Admissions people, again?