Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Negotiation?  (Read 23146 times)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarship Negotiation?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
how'd the conversation go??

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »
hey sorry guys I was a little bit busy.

Anyways, I was suprised from the start because as soon as I called the director and told her my name she knew exactly who I was and the previous email correspondance we had, without puting me on hold trying to look up my info. It was like she was waiting for me lol. She said she wanted to explain to me personally why I havent recieved a scholly. She said the school was a state funded school and because of the economy they had little money to give out because all thier scholarships are renewable for 2nd and 3rd year. So once they paid all the 2Ls and 3Ls, they couldnt give out as much merit scolly as before. As a result all scholarship decisions have to be made by the comettie as a whole and she would sumbit my request for me. If I dont get it, they will give me strong review on the need based grant process.

She sounded genuine and really wanted to assist me. I didnt get quite what I wanted but I was impressed with the fact that director knew who I was and my situation right of the top of her head. I guess I have to wait and see what the result is, although it does not look like any good news yet.

Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

SamE397

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Just wanted to say that I sent out an email using JeNeSaisLaw's letter as a template three weeks ago and received an award offer of $15,500 for the 08-09 school year today from a school I was admitted to in December. It was non-renewable but still it was two thirds the tuition for a year so I'm pretty happy. Thanks for the help.

P.S I moved recently and the offer was forwarded so it probably was mailed about a week ago.   

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 07:43:46 PM »
I also just sent out an email to Pittsburgh yesterday using JeNeSaisLaw's letter as a starting point and just adding a bit to it to better reflect my own situation. Long story short the letter basically said Penn State offered me X, Temple's in state tuition costs Y, I may need to make my decision based on financial concerns... can you do anything to make Pitt more affordable? They got back to me today with an offer for $12k each year, so this whole negotiation thing can definitely work out.

SAM34

• 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
Spoke with someone at St. John's the other day.  They said that they probably wouldn't be able to tell me if they could match or make a comparable offer to the scholarship I got from Hofstra until after the first seat deposit.  Kind of disappointed but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
woo woo, glad to help!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »
The negotiation with scholarship can be conducted in the same manner you would in buying a car.  One thing I have learned in life minus a few exceptions, is that the advertised price of something is never fixed.  First thing you would want to do is find some way that you have leverage over the school to make the negotiation.  In this case, you may have higher scores than the schools average, or have several schools to choose from.  When I submitted my scholarship negotiation letter, I reinforced to the school that I had several other schools to choose from and that many were offering more generous sums of money.  At the conclusion of the letter, I basically stated that financing law school was a very crucial determining factor in my school selection process and that if they accepted my proposed offer, my decision would become rather easy.  Put the ball in their court.

So, the great thing you have going for you is that you have nothing to loose.  If they say, "No", then you are not worse off.  Have some fun with it.  I love negotiating prices.
Never pay retail or MSRP for anything!

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
I tried it with a state school and it didn't work.  It did serve as a great diversion to my intense waiting to hear back from my top law school choice though!

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »
I got a small scholarship (7,500/yr) to a school I really want to go to. I have not been accepted to any higher ranking schools, and have no similar offers from schools in the same range. Should I still attempt to get the scholarship increased (debt is a huge factor in my decision)? If so, what should I use to try to convince them to increase the scholarship?
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred