Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Negotiation?  (Read 23925 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarship Negotiation?
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Mine took a week from when they received the letter (I sent it certified mail so that I knew when they got it).

nook225

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
I have been given a full tuition scholarship to U of Baltimore and 10,000 renewable at Drexel.  Temple is my first choice (I think) and is only offering me 5,000 for my first year only.  Do you think I have any chance at negotiating in this situation?

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:24 PM »
I got the non-reply reply from UT the day after I sent my email to them. It said they would email me when they made a decision. It's nice to know they're considering it, but now I'm checking my email constantly. It's kind of nerve-wracking.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
The point is that if they see your request and think no way in hell there's a good chance you'd get an email back pretty quickly saying as much. Whereas if they send your request to committee for review that process will take awhile longer.

I'm just making speculation though; there are of course several other reasons why it could take a long time to get feedback.

I think, generally speaking, most law schools are VERY good at getting back to you very quickly, especially if they already know the answer.  So you're probably right.

I have had some schools tell me, however, that they send ALL requests to the committee who decides.  If that's true, then their decision might take weeks, even if you have no shot.

normn3116

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
IT WORKED!!!!

Took a little bit of time, but Illinois took my Indiana scholarship into consideration and offered me a 10,000 per year scholarship.  Nothing massive, but it was from no scholarship at all.  Also, since I get in-state tuition as well, it knocks things down significantly.  Thanks everyone for your help.  If anyone has any questions specifically about how I did it, I would be glad to help as well.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
Congrats!  :)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »
tag

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
Wow this thread is an answer to my prayers. I have been contemplating how to do this "negotiate" your scholarships business. I did not know how to even bring up the conversation without sounding like a total tool bag lol. So I just gave up on doing that. But then I saw this thread and it motivated me to try it alteast. So I just sent the director of Univ Maryland an email using the format on here. It is really my top school choice and if the finances work out I will be happy to attend there. So wish me luck!! I just sent the email today so I have no idea if it will work or not. Alteast that "what if I sent them an email" voice is gone now lol
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
Best of luck to you. 

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »
Thanks, so I got an email back from the director saying "Please give me a call to discuss your request. Thank you". I dont know what to make of it, I dont know if this is a good sign or bad sign. I guess I have to make the phone call, I hope it will not be an akward conversation lol
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!