Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Negotiation?  (Read 23568 times)

redcement

• View Profile
Re: Scholarship Negotiation?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »
Just to add my experience...I got accepted to 3 schools so far. Two offered me merit aid, the third did not. I sent a letter to the third along with a copy of my merit awards from the other schools(one for 14,000/year, one for 20,000/year). I heard back from the third school and got $10,000/year about a week later :)  Not as much as I hoped, better than nothing. Definitely ask.

Davis1L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »
Dear Santa Clara Law Admissions,

My name is [insert name], ID [insert ID], and I was recently admitted for the Fall of [insert year].  The reason that I am sending out this e-mail is because Loyola Law School recently offered me a scholarship of $45,000 (to be spread over the 3 years of law school) that currently gives them priority to where I am probably going to attend.  Now I'm not sure if it's too late, but I was wondering if it were possible for me to be considered for a scholarship at your school, because if not, I will probably end up withdrawing so that I can give another one of your applicants a spot at your law school.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
[insert name]

This is what I sent, worked like a charm. The best part was when I used the scholarship offer that Santa Clara gave me to increase my Loyola scholarship to 20k a year (though I didn't end up going there). Fun times.

Good luck!

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Dear Santa Clara Law Admissions,

My name is [insert name], ID [insert ID], and I was recently admitted for the Fall of [insert year].  The reason that I am sending out this e-mail is because Loyola Law School recently offered me a scholarship of $45,000 (to be spread over the 3 years of law school) that currently gives them priority to where I am probably going to attend.  Now I'm not sure if it's too late, but I was wondering if it were possible for me to be considered for a scholarship at your school, because if not, I will probably end up withdrawing so that I can give another one of your applicants a spot at your law school.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
[insert name]

This is what I sent, worked like a charm. The best part was when I used the scholarship offer that Santa Clara gave me to increase my Loyola scholarship to 20k a year (though I didn't end up going there). Fun times.

Good luck!

I like JeNeSaisLaw's letter much better. I do agree with the above posters that you should definitely give it a shot. You have nothing to lose & everything to gain. They won't revoke your acceptance and once you go to law school, you will have 0 communications with admissions. In all likelihood, you'll never see these people again, so don't worry about it being awkward later on.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »
I appreciate all of your help. Sent letter off on Friday. Hopefully I will hear good news soon!

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
Thanks for all of your help. It worked. I got offered a comparable scholarship from the school I would really like to attend. :)

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
Wow congrats!  You've inspired me to try the same.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
Wow congrats!  You've inspired me to try the same.

Good luck!

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
That's so great! I'm waiting on one last offer before I do the same.

Raul89

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 02:56:02 PM »
The above posts are encouraging...

I'm in a similar boat.  But a question:  If you have full rides and half-tuition offers from schools that are significantly lower ranked than the school you are writing to, is it still worthwhile to mention these offers in your letter?

Thanks.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »
Mention every offer. The worst the school can do is say "no."