Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship Negotiation?  (Read 23903 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scholarship Negotiation?
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »
I tried to search for this in case it was posted already, however, the search function is acting up. I am wondering if anyone knows if you can “negotiate scholarships” with a university. I have heard of people doing this and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on a tactful way to go about it, or has had success.

Here is the scenario:

I got accepted PT to a university that I would really like to attend. Tuition is around 38k. I did not receive any kind of scholarship offer. If I even received a thousand dollars, it would probably seal the deal and I would feel much better attending.

I also got accepted FT to a university with a slightly higher ranking than the first and a scholarship offer of $10k.

Is it possible to approach the first university and tell them that I really want to attend however, the money issue is of concern and show them that the second university, with a slightly higher ranking, has offered me money and ask them to consider doing the same?

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarship Negotiation?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
Anyone...

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
I know that it can be done. I've heard success stories, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I might be soon. I figure that it's worth a shot, right? The worst they can do is tell you "no."

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
I know that it can be done. I've heard success stories, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I might be soon. I figure that it's worth a shot, right? The worst they can do is tell you "no."

I just don't know where to start. I want to be tactful. And yeah I guess tha tthe worse they can do is say no.

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
I actually tried doing this last year.  I had narrowed my choices down to two. One school had offered me a full scholarship and the other had offered me the full first year and up to half thereafter.  I called the second school, explained the situation and asked if they would be willing to reconsider and possibly offer me more.  They said no, but at least I asked. I felt very awkward asking, but I'm glad that I did. This was a deal breaker for me, and ultimately I ended up picking the first school.  Hope this helps.
Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:28 AM »
I leveraged my Vandy scholarship to get my Texas scholarship, which I leveraged to get my Cornell scholarship. I also think I could have used those three to get more money from WashU and W&L for sure.

Basically I had to fax UT and Cornell my scholarship letters, and they responded accordingly.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
I leveraged my Vandy scholarship to get my Texas scholarship, which I leveraged to get my Cornell scholarship. I also think I could have used those three to get more money from WashU and W&L for sure.

Basically I had to fax UT and Cornell my scholarship letters, and they responded accordingly.

How did you go about doing this. I have an upcoming meeting with the financial aid department of the school I want to negotiate with. Should I bring letter from the other schools and ask them if they are willing to reconsider?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Just make it clear that you really like their school, but that financial considerations are getting in the way.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Just make it clear that you really like their school, but that financial considerations are getting in the way.
I will make sure to tell them how much I really would like to attend. Anything else that I should include? Thank you a lot for your help!

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
I don't think so. Here is the letter I sent to UT.

Dear Dean [of admissions],

I am writing to request consideration for merit aid from the University of Texas scholarship committee. I have been accepted with a scholarship to three peer schools.

Washington University: $25,000 per year - COA $34,700.
Washington & Lee University: $19,600 per year - COA $34,175.
Vanderbilt University: $15,000 per year - COA $45,118.

I understand that there are limited funds and I am grateful for any consideration that UT Law can give to my request. Having lived in Texas for 5 years of my life, and loving every moment of it, I would be thrilled to attend the University of Texas this fall. Unfortunately, my decision is more complex and will be greatly influenced by total cost of attendance. I am, however, very much looking forward to visiting the school during my spring break, the second week of March. I look forward to meeting and talking to you then.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
JNSL
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011