Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is 3 pages double-spaced too long?  (Read 2342 times)

moonlitesana

Is 3 pages double-spaced too long?
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
I read some of the other posts and I noticed how everyone said the personal statement should be under 2 pages. Well that got me a little worried because mine is 3 pages (double-spaced). Is this going to piss off the admissions people? A few of the schools I'm applying to say that it should be under 3 pages double-spaced so I'm not too worried about them. But a lot of the other schools don't mention a page limit at all. What should I do?

And I definitely need someone to look over my PS. So far I haven't had any feedback on it and I absolutely don't want to submit it without getting a second, third, or even fourth opinion. Is anyone willing? I would be happy to return the favor. Thanks a bunch!

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is 3 pages double-spaced too long?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »
As to the length of the personal statement, some schools have certain word/page limits so you should be sure to make sure you are staying within those guideilnes.  If the school does not mention a word or page limit, I would not go too far beyond two and a half pages unless there is a really important reason to do so.  The committee has a limited time for each application and you want to make sure you put your best foot forward as quickly as possible so that you can effectively grab their attention.  Just like you won't want to give your clients briefs that are too long when you are a practicing attorney - just want to give them the essentials of what they need to know.  You might want to take another look at your personal statement and see if there is anything that is not essential to the main theme.  I would be happy to review it for your as well if you would like.  Feel free to send it over!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law   

masterpinky0509

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is 3 pages double-spaced too long?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
So I'll chime in with a bit of a contradiction.

Despite the general 2-page or 500-word limit, I actually roughly doubled that in my PS that I sent out to all schools. Obviously this is OK for places like Berkeley that encourage 4-pg statements, but even schools that explicitly asked for 500 accepted me this cycle.

It's a bit of a game theory problem; if everyone goes 500, and you write an incredible personal statement that is 750 words long...obviously the 2 extra minutes needed to read 250 words is not going to make an adcomm really angry. So if it really enhances your application, I'd say do it. Before you send it in, you should, however, work very hard to cut away unnecessary content.

If you'd like to see the PS I used, I'd be happy to PM it to you. And if you want me to read over yours, send it over.