Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A World Without Black People...  (Read 15439 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A World Without Black People...
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
LIFE WITHOUT BLACK PEOPLE

A very humorous and revealing story is told about a group of white
people who were fed up with African-Americans (all Blacks, really), so they joined together and
wished themselves away.

They passed through a deep, dark tunnel and emerged in sort of a
"Twilight Zone" where there is an America without black people.

At first these white people breathed a sigh of relief. At last, they said,
no more crime, drugs, violence and welfare. All of the blacks have gone!
Then suddenly, reality set in. The "NEW AMERICA" is not America at
all, only bare land.

1. There were very few flourishing crops because
the original nation had been built on a slave-supported system.

2. There were no cities with tall skyscrapers because Alexander Mills,
a black man, invented the elevator. And without it, they could not reach higher floors.

3. There were few, if any, cars because Richard Spikes, a Black man,
had invented the automatic gearshift; Joseph Gambol, also Black, invented
the "Super Charge System" for Internal Combustion Engine Technology, and Garrett
A. Morgan, another Black man, had invented the traffic signals still in use in the "old" America.

4. Furthermore, one could not use the rapid transit system because
its procurer was the electric trolley, which was invented by another
Black man, Albert R. Robinson.

5. Even if there were streets on which cars and a rapid transit
system could operate, they were cluttered with paper because an African
American, Charles Brooks, invented the street sweeper.

6. There were few, if any, newspapers, magazines and books because
John Love invented the pencil sharpener, William Purveys invented
the fountain pen, and Lee Barrage invented the Type Writing Machine.
W. A. Love invented the Advanced Printing Press. They were all,
you guessed it, Black.

7. Even if Americans could write their letters, articles and books, they
would not have been transported by mail because William Barry invented
the Postmarking and Canceling Machine, William Purveys invented the
Hand Stamp (when he was inventing the fountain pen) and Philip Downing invented the Letter Drop.

8. The lawns were brown and wilted because Joseph Smith had invented the
Lawn Sprinkler and John Burr, the Lawn Mower.

9. When they entered their homes, they found them to be poorly
ventilated and poorly heated. You see, Frederick Jones invented the
Air Conditioner and Alice Parker the Heating Furnace. Their homes
were also dim. But, of course, this was to be expected, as Lewis Lattimer invented the Electric
Lamp, Michael Harvey invented the lantern and Granville T. Woods invented
the Automatic Cut off Switch. Their homes were also filthy because Thomas W. Steward invented the Mop and Lloyd P. Ray invented the Dust Pan.

10. Their children met them at the door-barefooted, shabby, motley
and unkept. But what could one expect? Jan E. Matzelinger invented the
Shoe Lasting Machine, Walter Sammons invented the Comb, Sarah Boone
invented the Ironing Board and George T. Samon invented the Clothes
Dryer.

11. Finally, they were resigned to at least have dinner amidst all of
this turmoil. But here again, the food had spoiled because another
Black Man, John Standard invented the refrigerator.

Now, isn't that something? What would this country be like without
the contributions of Blacks, as African-Americans? Martin Luther King, Jr.
said, "by the time we leave for work, Americans have depended on the
inventions from the minds of Blacks."

Does all of this go to say that whites have not invented anything great? Preposterous! blacks understand this. But do whites know of, understand and value OUR many contributions to history and human progress? 

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Kohinoor

• View Profile
Re: A World Without Black People...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Wouldn't they run into the paradox where by going into the past to change something they change the future which gives them no reason in the future to go back in time?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
I think they're going for the "alternate reality" version of time travel as opposed to the "single time line" version. It's bollocks either way. As if any of those things were inconceivable to non-Africans.

Q1. How did you do on the RC section of the LSAT?

Q2. Did you read the last few sentences of my original post?

Cool Beans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »
These types of postings are exactly why I go to TLS now.  Much more intelligent and enlightened folks.

The treatment here of LawDog3 is disgusting.  All he simply did was post a commentary of all the brilliant things African Americans have invented, implying how different the world would be without African Americans - and I applaud him for this.  Sometimes, some people need to be reminded of this.

Instead, no parroty est questions the claims made within the text.  Blatant racism.  BLATANT.  Do you deny that African Americans have contributed to our society?  Then what does the historical accuracy of the text really matter?  Are you trying to minimize African American achievements.  For shame, sir.  For shame.

And Mr.  IrX.  You as well.  Bringing potty mouth language into this discussion in hopes of intimidating another poster who is simply discussing the achievement of people of color to cower away.  LawDog3 is doing us a service, and personal insults should not be tolerated.  I am sure EarlCat will move swifty and harshly against you.

So, after reading this, Mr. Dog3, I will never take riding the elevator for granted.  Thank you Mr. Alexander Mills - I both have gained from your timely invention and I am also 25 lbs heavier because I refuse to take the stairs.  I guess that one's a mixed bag. LOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turkish Kebab Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
The original post is very interesting.  However, I wonder why the achievement of people of Mediterranean descent are ignored.  Take, oohhhhhhh, Turkish people for example.  Well, we gave you the kebab.  Where's the formal thank you?   

I guess, being able to pump young American women for providing our delicacies is thank you enough.  You're welcome!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
Wouldn't they run into the paradox where by going into the past to change something they change the future which gives them no reason in the future to go back in time?

Ahh...the existential approach. I like it. And, you are 100% correct. And that is the rub. We must assume the new world to be either one of two things: 1) devoid of the NEED for these discoveries, or 2) a world in which the discoveries will be made regardless (presumably by the new society), in which case it is not at all unlike the original world. Based on your response, would these be two fair assumptions?

If it is devoid of the need for the discoveries, one can only assume that either A) those discoveries will not exist, or B) Blacks existed in the original world because of the needs in that world.

If the discoveries are to be made regardless, there is no need for the new world, because the discoveries function the same in the new world as the old one.

This leads one to say propositionally, If discoveries exist in the new world, they were always necessary. Because they existed in the old world, as well. The contrapositive of that statement is if they were not always necessary, they would not exist in the new world, which is what the respondent proposes.

The flaw in that argument is that the lack of need is a sufficient condition for the non-existence of those discoveries in the new world, not a necessary one. It could very well be that it takes longer to make these discoveries. Or, more efficient tools, machinery and energy sources will be discovered. That's a decent proposition, as well.

Based on the latter, we would have to ask WHY the more efficient discoveries were not made in the original world. If the existence of other people in THAT world somehow hindered those possibilities, we can still only assume the world was as it should have been, until the refugees left.  

If discoveries are not necessary, then those discoveries do not exist, leads to the contrapositive: if discoveries do exist, then those discoveries are necessary.

The counter result also works. If discoveries do not exist, then those discoveries are not necessary, leading to the contrapositive: if discoveries are necessary, then those discoveries exist.

Mutual inclusion and mutual exclusion means that, if discoveries exist, they are necessary, and they are necessary because they exist. If discoveries do not exist, they are not necessary, and if they are not necessary, it is because they do not exist.

This is the most likely scenario. We are meant to only assume our reality as it is.  

Our lack of time-traveling ability is an implication in itself. That is to say, the reason we do not have it is that we do not need it, which supports the hypothesis that our current existence is as it should be, a world in which all men must learn to live in harmony.

Disclaimer, I'm stoned right now. lol!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
These types of postings are exactly why I go to TLS now.  Much more intelligent and enlightened folks.

The treatment here of LawDog3 is disgusting.  All he simply did was post a commentary of all the brilliant things African Americans have invented, implying how different the world would be without African Americans - and I applaud him for this.  Sometimes, some people need to be reminded of this.

Instead, no parroty est questions the claims made within the text.  Blatant racism.  BLATANT.  Do you deny that African Americans have contributed to our society?  Then what does the historical accuracy of the text really matter?  Are you trying to minimize African American achievements.  For shame, sir.  For shame.

And Mr.  IrX.  You as well.  Bringing potty mouth language into this discussion in hopes of intimidating another poster who is simply discussing the achievement of people of color to cower away.  LawDog3 is doing us a service, and personal insults should not be tolerated.  I am sure EarlCat will move swifty and harshly against you.

So, after reading this, Mr. Dog3, I will never take riding the elevator for granted.  Thank you Mr. Alexander Mills - I both have gained from your timely invention and I am also 25 lbs heavier because I refuse to take the stairs.  I guess that one's a mixed bag. LOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not so offended by the challenges, though I appreciate your sticking up for me. I like to engage in intellectual warfare once in awhile. This is good for all of us. I respect those who disagree, but I will call them on it if their disagreements are truly lame. There's a bigger picture to be seen here. More on the philosophical tip. I'm just exploring.

Let the naysayers put up a respectful fight, it's good for all of us.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »

someone needs to sig this.

Not I. I couldn't possibly give up my Xman sig.

coolbeans seems to be an xman alt anyway  :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »

Smoking pot doesn't make you a philosopher any more than posting snopes links makes me a racist.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."