Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TAX LLM from NYU, UF, Gtown  (Read 3486 times)

mdlaw

• View Profile
TAX LLM from NYU, UF, Gtown
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I am certain that I would like to obtain an LLM in tax from one of the top three schools.  I am seeking advice from folks who might give me some insight on what is required for admissions (preferably from those who have applied and have been accepted/rejected).

I would prefer to go part-time, since I have a big-law job and would like to keep it while I'm taking classes.  I know UF does not have a part-time program.  I attend a law school that is at the bottom of the first tier.  I am not sure what of where I will be ranked once I graduate, but I am certain it will at least be in the top 30-50% and maybe higher. 

Were your personal statements geared toward your interest in tax law? Must you be ranked at the top of your class? How many (if any) tax classes did you take in law school?  How well did you do in the tax classes you took in law school?  How rigorous is the program?
All I need is one...acceptance that is.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: TAX LLM from NYU, UF, Gtown
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »

I would prefer to go part-time, since I have a big-law job and would like to keep it while I'm taking classes. 

So, this biglaw job that you have allows you work from home or anywhere, including Florida, DC, or New York?

mdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »

I would prefer to go part-time, since I have a big-law job and would like to keep it while I'm taking classes. 

So, this biglaw job that you have allows you work from home or anywhere, including Florida, DC, or New York?

No it would not.  I could go part time in DC (where my job is located) and NY (they have an executive tax llm program).  But if I were to go to Florida, I would have to defer and decide whether I wanted to give up my job to move to FL for one year full time.

Any advice?
All I need is one...acceptance that is.

phisher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »
Ask a senior partner/director at your firm. Many biglaw firms will cover tuition for their associates pursuing LLMs.

Outside of that, you should recognize that the NYU LL.M. program and the NYU executive LL.M. program are not the same thing in the eyes of many. I think there is a strong argument that they are the same (viewing class online is not really that different than sitting in person), but some tend to think that the e-LL.M. program has not yet proven its value so it has not earned the same reputation as the "real" NYU LLM program.

Of course, you have a job secured now... but in this current economy you should be sure to consider the long-term marketability of the degree... and whether you feel the e-LLM will be as marketable as the "real" LLM.

That being said, I would suggest (after consulting with you firm, of course), focusing on Gtown. Florida is a great school, but giving up a job in this economy is probably unwise. NYU is the consensus #1, but Gtown is not too far back. Plus, consider all of the benefits of attending in person... studying in library, professor office hours, all the things that would be more difficult in the e-LLM program.