Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Value of RA position?  (Read 1416 times)

matteo

• View Profile
Value of RA position?
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »
I've heard mixed things about what value second-year employers give an RA position you had during 1L summer. Assuming you're researching a topic you're passionate about, related to the areas you'd apply to after 2L, would that work in your favor?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Value of RA position?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
Depends on what school you go to and who you're working with. Whether you get publication credit.  Where you're applying and who you happen to run into.

I wouldn't give you a negative points in an interview for a firm gig, but I would assume you couldn't get a firm gig 1L summer.  A lot of schools just make up more RA gigs so everyone has something at the end of 1L. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »
I don't see how it wouldn't.  OCI is about selling yourself.  If you can say that irrevocable licenses are your passion, and that's why you spent a summer studying with them with Professor X, and you were a real estate agent who wants to practice land use control law, then I don't see why it wouldn't.

But if you're the standard out of UG type who spends a summer researching ConLaw, I can't see it helping too much -- barring amazing grades at a great school, and appellate litigation interest.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
See, I don't think the passion thing is really what you want to be pitching in a down economy at OCI. But that's just me. The reality of the working world right now is "Anything you got, I want!" You can still express an interest in white collar or environmental litigation or whatever, but getting too specific (and anything passion-oriented) right now may not be a good thing. 

Also, I'd worry if you had good grades why you didn't get a legit job and may be wondering what it is that's wrong with you that I just haven't noticed yet. :)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
See, I don't think the passion thing is really what you want to be pitching in a down economy at OCI. But that's just me. The reality of the working world right now is "Anything you got, I want!" You can still express an interest in white collar or environmental litigation or whatever, but getting too specific (and anything passion-oriented) right now may not be a good thing. 

Also, I'd worry if you had good grades why you didn't get a legit job and may be wondering what it is that's wrong with you that I just haven't noticed yet. :)

Seriously?

Damn.