Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity Essay  (Read 2198 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
Diversity Essay
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »
I am writing a 500 word diversity essay and I do not see myself as a 'diverse' individual. (white female, straight from undergrad, no deep dark issues, etc.). Can someone please give me some advice about how I can tackle this topic? I have a few ideas, but more would be appreciated. Thank you. 
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diversity Essay
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:29:53 AM »
is it required for a scholarship or something? plenty of people in your circumstances don't write a DS (i didn't, with a similar background to yours) and it may hurt more than help if you seem to be grasping at straws.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
I am writing a 500 word diversity essay and I do not see myself as a 'diverse' individual. (white female, straight from undergrad, no deep dark issues, etc.). Can someone please give me some advice about how I can tackle this topic? I have a few ideas, but more would be appreciated. Thank you. 

I wouldn't.  It'll probably be the least compelling part of your file.  Think of it this way, adcoms will take about 5-10 minutes reading your application.  They'll have to review:

- Personal statement
- Resume
- Application
- GPA/LSAT addendum (who doesn't have one?)

That's about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes for each component that you consider vitally important.  Adding an extra document which is rather bland will NOT increase the amount of time they spend reading your feel.  It'll just cause adcoms to skim over your resume a little faster and to maybe give your GPA addendum only a passing glance (not like adcoms are concerned with these things anyways).

So, I wouldn't detract from your better documents.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
This is a tough issue - Cardozo asks for this.  My suggestion is to use the opportunity to show how you are unique.  If it is not because of ethnic background, religion or something along those lines, then concentrate on how you pursued a path that was different from what your background/parents/upbringing expected from you and how it has made you a stronger individual.  You might also choose to discuss choosing a unique major to study, i.e. a math major who wants to go to law school, or other rare life experience.  This is your opportunity to show the school what you can bring to their institution that is different from what other students can bring.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
This is a tough issue - Cardozo asks for this.  My suggestion is to use the opportunity to show how you are unique.  If it is not because of ethnic background, religion or something along those lines, then concentrate on how you pursued a path that was different from what your background/parents/upbringing expected from you and how it has made you a stronger individual.  You might also choose to discuss choosing a unique major to study, i.e. a math major who wants to go to law school, or other rare life experience.  This is your opportunity to show the school what you can bring to their institution that is different from what other students can bring.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

This sounds like a personal statement more than a diversity essay. 

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:48:12 PM »
I had to write one of these for a scholarship application. I am also a white female. I focused on how I spent a few years living away from the conservative suburban environment I grew up in to go to a large city and how that opened my eyes to different cultures and ideas. I don't know if that helps you, but it might give you an idea of the kinds of ways you could pull it off.