Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting published after your journal passes?  (Read 685 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Getting published after your journal passes?
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
My law review passed on my case note.  Has anyone heard of a student who had luck getting a case note or article published by another school's journal?  Are there any other publication methods I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting published after your journal passes?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
Most people that I know who have been published as students have also been published in their own journal.... Some journals don't publish casenotes at all. Most only publish them from their own students. And some will publish articles written by current students, but there's a pretty high bar. From what I have seen, most people who don't get published in their own journal probably need to write something else.  Would your journal consider another submission from you?

Also, you could try making it into a more easily digestible magazine-style article for a state practitioner publication or blog.  It really depends on the relevance of what you wrote, whether it is of wide interest.... hard to say without reading it whether you could chop it up easily for something publishable.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »
SYN, thanks for the comments.  My note was on a U.S. Court of Appeals case, and the issue was probably not of wide interest.  However, there is a circuit split, so I think I could convert the note into an article with minimal (well, some) effort.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
Specialty journals, maybe?  Have a professor who knows something about the topic read it; maybe they can tell you if you are off somehow before you invest the effort in making it an article.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:55:43 AM »
I had a faculty adviser, and he said he thought it should be published.  A specialty journal is what I was thinking.  I haven't asked the prof for suggestions yet; that's my next step.  Although, since yesterday I've been browsing http://stu.findlaw.com/journals/ and see that some accept student submissions.

I don't think my implications were off.  The prof never made such suggestions, and a district court case that was decided after I submitted the note largely confirms one of my implications.

EDIT:  And yes, after browsing some more, I think I will have to do one of two things (or both): 1) make it shorter and more practitioner-oriented or 2) make it into a full blown article.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »
Yeah; it's not a death sentence, since journal publication is decided by 2Ls and 3Ls who have only a limited knowledge of the law.

Although it wouldn't be the "same" as being formally published, you could put it on SSRN or something and send it out to the major legal blogs. If you can get a hat tip from an important blog or a guest post, I'd say that's worth a resume line for "publication." It shows that someone else thought what you wrote was interesting and helpful. Legal blogs are an increasingly important way of communicating legal scholarship.  You could also try online law journals. http://www.academicinfo.net/lawlibraryj.html