Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resident Status and Tuition  (Read 1210 times)

Sean104

• View Profile
Resident Status and Tuition
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
I have a question that I would like to have verified by public opinion.  Can I consider myself a resident of a certain state after completing one year of school,i.e., pay nonresident tuition first year, then pay resident tuition second and third year?  I know the answer may be obvious.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Status and Tuition
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
It all depends on what state you go to school in.   In my state, you only gain residency for tuition purposes your 2L year if you can prove you moved here for a reason other than school.  The most common examples are buying a house, or coming a year before you start school.  My school also gives you in state tuition if you work for the University.
I know that some states, like Ohio, make it really easy to gain resident status for tuition purposes after your first year.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:37:17 AM »
Know anything about Florida?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:50:57 AM »
ask the FA office, or alternatively look it up on their website. virtually all public universities have this posted in a FAQ.

FWIW, california allows this, washington does not.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

162/3.8

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
I moved from Illinois to Florida to attend UF for undergrad, and I was able to obtain residency after the first year.  They did deny my first request to become a resident, but after I appealed they granted me residency.  I basically just said that I wanted to continue living in Florida after graduation and find a job here. Hope that helps.

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
Definitely depends on the state/school. For example, Rutgers gives in state tuition for anyone who has a 12 month lease signed in NJ by July 1 before your first year, but from what I can tell that's a pretty good offer.