Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 20 yrs old this app cycle- Good thing? Bad thing?  (Read 1553 times)

büzzcruise

• View Profile
20 yrs old this app cycle- Good thing? Bad thing?
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »
I'm applying to several schools this year, starting in the T50s, moving down to second tier. I feel like my LOR and personal statement are pretty alright. I have an LSAT score of 155 and a 3.5 gpa in Theatre Arts from the University of Oregon. Not the best chances, I know. What I'm wondering is, will the fact that I am 20 years old be a good thing or a bad thing? I can see how adcomms would look at it either way. I don't have a lot of "real world" work experience, but I've worked on lots of productions concurrently, so I've definitely used my time wisely, even if it wasn't what some might call "gainful employment." I graduated early from high school (when I was sixteen) and from college (well, 5 more weeks!).

Thoughts? I'd love to hear any opinions, even if it's just a guess! (But please say you are just guessing!!)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: 20 yrs old this app cycle- Good thing? Bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
No. I was 20 until 2 months into my 1L year... it doesn't matter. (Maybe 18, not 20).
Vandy 1L... really?

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
I think it hurts more than it helps, but I don't think it plays that big of a role. My evidence is the anecdotal notes on LSN.

büzzcruise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
I think it hurts more than it helps, but I don't think it plays that big of a role. My evidence is the anecdotal notes on LSN.

Where did you found those anecdotal notes? All I see is application stats... (new to the site, clearly)

ARM1987

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
I'm in the same boat; 20 years old, same Lsat, higher GPA, I graduated a year early from high school, a year early from college in May(double major double minor), worked all throughout undergrad in a research setting and still got rejected from random schools. My ps was great, and my reccs were from professors that love me and respect me, but overall I do not think age played a part in it as much as choosing your schools wisely. I picked higher-tier schools where I assumed my lower lsat would be counter balanced with my early graduation and young age.

Hope it helps a little, good luck though!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
I hate to say it, but it will probably only hurt you to be so young. That said, law school is a numbers game first and foremost.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
Nobody cares, it's all a numbers game. So don't worry about your age. But I would advise you to improve your LSAT.

sluglaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
I'm in a similar situation while not as young as you, I would be 22 when classes start if I choose to go in this year.  The real question you should be asking is not where you will be accepted (that should take care of itself) but are you really willing to take such a tremendous risk/burden on yourself at such a young age?  If law is something that really matters to you and the money (100k+ debt) is okay with you, then go for it.  But if you're uncertain at all you really need to take some time to think over all your options going forward; remember unless you really make some bad mistakes your prospects for LS will only get better the older you are and the more life experience you have. 

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
I think being 20 either has a marginal benefit or no effect at all. I was 19 when I sent off my applications and won't be 21 for another 2 weeks (I'm a 1L now). My cycle ultimately played out pretty much as I predicted it would - no pleasant surprises, but no huge disappointments either. Good luck.
2L and counting...

1lstudent

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
well, there are no jobs right now, so you might as well just go to school (otherwise you will be sitting around the house).  The only thing that matters is your lsat score-don't stress your age, the adcoms don't.