Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer to Penn from t14  (Read 1206 times)

Eric9064

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transfer to Penn from t14
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
I am from Philadelphia and I am currently not happy where I am at (T14). The median is 3.3 and right now my GPA is above a 3.5. I plan to work in Philly following graduation and love to go to school there. Does  anyone have a educated guess of my chances? I know lateral transfers with personal connections are supposed to be easier.

Thanks for any help

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer to Penn from t14
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »
I am from Philadelphia and I am currently not happy where I am at (T14). The median is 3.3 and right now my GPA is above a 3.5. I plan to work in Philly following graduation and love to go to school there. Does  anyone have a educated guess of my chances? I know lateral transfers with personal connections are supposed to be easier.

Thanks for any help

You'll almost certainly get in.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

Thanks for any help

You'll almost certainly get in.

overstating the case.  i'd say something less than almost certainly.

I don't think I'm overstating the case, and I have good reason to know.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
I don't think I'm overstating the case, and I have good reason to know.

is the good reason to know the fact that you did something very similar?  even so, "almost certainly" is very strong language and a high bar to meet.  maybe we could compromise on "probably" or "you have a good chance?"

Apologies for being less than clear. I did transfer to Penn, albeit from a traditional top 25 school. My grades were higher than 3.5, but I know other transfers here who had around that GPA from schools that are similar to the one I transferred from--granted they, like the OP, had connections to the area. I'm inferring that the GPA + connections that sufficed to get people in from lesser schools would be enough to basically assure the OP an acceptance assuming no grade drop, etc.

Eric9064

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
Thanks for the help and I appreciate your comments. I'm really hoping it works out. I have two professors from my current school willing to write recs and one professor who is currently at penn that I believe will also supply me with one.

Thanks again