Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got laid off by my craptastic BIGLAW firm. WTF do I do now?  (Read 1542 times)

Latham3L

• View Profile
No one is hiring ANYBODY. I have like 9 weeks before I'm cut off and amd going to start defaulting on my loan payments. I repeat, there are NO LEGAL JOBS for first and second year corp associates in this economic climate.

Maybe, I will just kill myself.

TimMitchell

Re: Just got laid off by my craptastic BIGLAW firm. WTF do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
Your first step is to call your student loan lender and request a loan forbearance. So long as you're out of work, you can extend for up to 2 yrs. Best of luck to you, hang in there.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »
flame
2L

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »
Felton was probably a very nice guy, but it's the SEC. you underperform long enough, you're gonna get canned, niceness aside. I thought Tubberville and Croom were nice guys, too. I'm sure all three of them got favorable severance packages.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
I thought Tubberville and Croom were nice guys, too. I'm sure all three of them got favorable severance packages.

From what I've read, their severance is their full pay for the duration of their contract, unless their is a buyout clause.  Typically, buyout clauses are only available for the first few years of a fairly long term contract.  If a guy has one or two years left, there's a good chance he's getting his full salary.  Rumor is that Charlie Weiss' deal has no buyout clause and he's got ~6 years left on that deal I think.