Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic LOR for someone who has graduated  (Read 2155 times)

MarissaTomei

• View Profile
Academic LOR for someone who has graduated
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:57 AM »
Hi all,
I graduated in May 2008 with no real intentions of going to law school. A lot has changed since then. Anyways, I was wondering how I would go about getting LOR from my former professors. I was fairly reserved in all my classes (im a shy girl), but in some smaller ones did participate actively. Should I email them? Call them? Where I attended Undergrad is a 4 hour drive from where I am working now if that factors in at all. I really want to get LOR from professors, but I'm not sure how to go about it at this point, and if any will be willing to write one for me.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Academic LOR for someone who has graduated
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
Email to reintroduce yourself, talk about the class subject matter, etc.  When you do ask for the LOR, make sure you can give the prof a copy of your resume, samples of your work from the class (any major papers and the like, along with reminding them of the grade you received). 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
The profs that wrote my LORs were in a different state than I was when I went to request them. I sent them an email telling them when I was in their class and why I thought that they would be the right people to write the letters. One of them asked me to send him a few little paragraphs answering questions about what I had gotten out of the M.A. program that I had been in and why I was going to law school, that sort of thing. I sent the paragraphs to all of them and I think it really helped. Not only did that remind them who I am, but it gave them more stuff to put in the letter about what sort of lawyer I hoped to become.

applicantcycle10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
I graduated in 2003 and contacted two profs about LOR. I emailed them asking if they could write an LOR and they both said "gladly". I know they don't remember me, since classes I took with them were in 2000 - 2003 but I think this is not the first request they received from former students like me, so I'd hope they know what they are doing. I am also submitting one very trustworthy professional LOR, so I think I should be covered.
 Just email your profs and as everyone else said give them information about yourself.

michelle180

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:28:14 AM »
Most important thing is that you should not be shy anymore at this point.  Email your former professors, reintroduce yourself in couple nicely written paragraphs.  Most professors are used to getting requests for LOR and would be willing to help.