Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick  (Read 31761 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
I don't doubt your statements with regards to those getting offers revoked.  It's tough out there.  Though, the reality is YLS are picky.  If they are really just trying to find a job, there is no reason why they wouldn't get SOMETHING paying market in a secondary city. 

It's all about the marketing.  The reality is, though, that I imagine many YLS students feel "above" many firms.  Not in this economy....

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »
But to qualm my own insecurities, do you think if a YLS student got an offer revoked because of the economy, he/she would have much trouble finding a firm job in a secondary market (South Carolina, NC, Georgia, etc)?

I don't think you actually need to be worried about this, but I probably don't either and I am as well.  That said, I've found that a good way of dealing with my own insecurities is to start laying the groundwork for potential Plan B's.  A good strategy might be to figure out what firms are politically connected at the local level.  I would think that those would be the places most amenable to taking on ambitious YLS students.

Most probably don't even look at those outside the Vault 100.

Most probably don't realize that the Vault rankings go up to 100.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
Or that firms outside of the Vault 100 still pay market salaries....

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »
I know several YLS alumni from bull years past who did not have jobs in the public interest world until April, May, and June.  It wouldn't surprise me if things are very tough for (even) YLS students who do not plan to go into biglaw and who do not have clerkships lined up.  Luckily, they have the Liman fellowship to fall back on, and I am sure the school will work with them to make sure they all have something to do.  It's still not a good year for anyone, and especially for people who do not have the same career goals and experience as some of you.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
the trouble for YLS students in biglaw is that oftentimes the firms assume that they just want to work for a year, go get a clerkship, and go off to academia. With secondary markets I would worry about the perception that this is not a job that the applicant reqlly wants. That's the thing that a YLS student most has to overcome.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
the trouble for YLS students in biglaw is that oftentimes the firms assume that they just want to work for a year, go get a clerkship, and go off to academia. With secondary markets I would worry about the perception that this is not a job that the applicant reqlly wants. That's the thing that a YLS student most has to overcome.

That's why I suggested a politically connected firm: they have something to offer that the YLS student might really want.

reporter99

• View Profile
    • Email
User has been banned for spamming.

Why do people keep trying this?

-Nealric

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
I have used lawfirmconnect.com, and it worked well for me, thankfully I received an nice offer and I will start working next month thanks to using the service.  I a recently graduated myself and with very little experience.  This is the best service in in the industry, forget about legal authority owned by a white collar criminal and firstlawjob who is owned by scott grady who used to own findlawjob - another white collar criminal who is disbarred

I really hope no one falls for this. I love that all 3 of his posts say the same thing. At least put some effort into it...geez.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »
I have used lawfirmconnect.com, and it worked well for me, thankfully I received an nice offer and I will start working next month thanks to using the service.  I a recently graduated myself and with very little experience.  This is the best service in in the industry, forget about legal authority owned by a white collar criminal and firstlawjob who is owned by scott grady who used to own findlawjob - another white collar criminal who is disbarred

I really hope no one falls for this. I love that all 3 of his posts say the same thing. At least put some effort into it...geez.

Gotta love copy and paste.

Cathy12345

• View Profile
firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »
Firstlawjob.com is a complete scam!!!

Do not waste a single cent on this so-called "job service". About two-months after I signed up with Firstlawjob.com, I emailed them to find out how many resumes they had sent out on my behalf. Firstlawjob.com refused to provide any information about their "services". When I asked them the most recent date they had sent out resumes on my behalf...again Firstlawjob.com refused to tell me anything. After receiving no answers from Firstlawjob.com, I requested a complete refund. Needless to say, they refused to give me a refund even though they could not provide any proof of services performed. As a side note, all communication is done by only email.

After all the research I did during law school...I failed to research this "service" before spending my money. Lesson learned!

Again...do not waste your money with Firstlawjob.com

P.S.  I've heard of another service called lawfirmconnect.com.  I'm am definitely researching them before investing.