Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick  (Read 32877 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
Ahh, that's right.  You are doing uber prestigious PI work making those big bucks.....

Am I supposed to killself over the plain fact that being a public defender is neither prestigious nor well compensated?  Somebody issue a press release!

I came to law school to start a career doing something that's interesting and meaningful to me, and I'm going to achieve that goal. I'm happy to be where I am.

Nope, I'm not at any of those firms that deferred and if I were (as some friends are), I wouldn't be using a gimmick site for work.  I'd be staying where I'm at now making my salary plus my fat stipend.  Sign me up.

Oh, right, you're a patent agent or something, right?  Well, bully for you.  A lot of our peers are in a much shittier position than either of us, through no (or little) fault of their own.  I certainly wouldn't assume that anyone from UT who was feeling antsy about finding work was a moron. You're a little high on yourself for someone who was desperately asking people for advice about professional resume editing services last summer. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »
Dudeman's attitude is why people hate lawyers. I don't know whether to be upset by his cockiness or feel bad for him because he lacks the ability to empathize with others. Must be a pretty lonely feeling.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with a student stuck in a crappy job market using every tool available to improve his chances.

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
Guarantee that Dudeman doesn't have a job or a girlfriend.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
Guarantee that Dudeman doesn't have a job or a girlfriend.

I think I actually met his girlfriend.  She was really cute.  Maybe I am wrong and it wasnt actually Dudeman, but I am pretty sure Im right.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 02:53:14 AM »
I don't disagree re. dudeman's lack of empathy, but I do find it suspicious that this is UTlawgirl's first post... and it is shilling for a company.  Could she be related to that company, by chance?
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »
Dudeman is just ignorant. I know 3Ls at YLS that are having trouble getting jobs ITE. Nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with the economy.

YLS c/o 2009

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Dudeman is just ignorant. I know 3Ls at YLS that are having trouble getting jobs ITE. Nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with the economy.

Getting or holding on to?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »

Getting or holding on to?

Getting.
YLS c/o 2009

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
I don't buy that.  YLS students are never going to struggle to find work.  It's self-selection.  My guess is most YLS feel they are entitled to top vault firms and that's it.  Most probably don't even look at those outside the Vault 100.

If a YLS student contacted a mid-size, market paying firm, they'd jump all over them.  At the end of the day, law firms view lawyers as marketing tools.  YLS' JD carries a strong marketing pitch with it. 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
I don't buy that.  YLS students are never going to struggle to find work.  It's self-selection.  My guess is most YLS feel they are entitled to top vault firms and that's it.  Most probably don't even look at those outside the Vault 100.

If a YLS student contacted a mid-size, market paying firm, they'd jump all over them.  At the end of the day, law firms view lawyers as marketing tools.  YLS' JD carries a strong marketing pitch with it. 

Your explanation sounds plausible and since I am not looking over people's shoulders to see what firms they are applying to, you could be right. The person I'm closest to in this situation, however, is looking in a specific market and is having difficulty finding a job.

But to qualm my own insecurities, do you think if a YLS student got an offer revoked because of the economy, he/she would have much trouble finding a firm job in a secondary market (South Carolina, NC, Georgia, etc)?
YLS c/o 2009