Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick  (Read 32889 times)

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
anyone heard of them?  anyone know anyone who used them?  what's the word on this company?  the better business bureau has nothing on them.

Big Time Lawyer

• View Profile
Re: firstlawjob.com a godsend or a gimmick
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:26 AM »
anyone heard of them?  anyone know anyone who used them?  what's the word on this company?  the better business bureau has nothing on them.

It's a gimmick.  Don't waste your time or money.

I actually find the site hilarious, although the company is trying to capitalize on law students' desperation.

"Regular Price is $199, sign up now during our national promotion for $79.00."

"If you have graduated your membership will last for six months of service."

"Why do we charge a nominal fee? FirstLawJob.com provides each client with a personal career counselor that takes care of the entire job-search process."

"How the Process Works

I.    Fill out the application and membership page.

II.   A career counselor will contact you to discuss career opportunities.

III. We begin searching and applying for jobs on your behalf through a     real-time database of hiring firms, as well as relationships with law firms      and legal recruiters.

IV.  You will be contacted directly by those firms that are interested in you."

utlawgirl1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »
I signed up with Firstlawjob about a month ago. I am taking the Texas Bar at the end of February so I am not licenced yet, but I have gone on a few interviews. So I am hopeful.  :)

echoko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »
So did anyone get a job from this service? 

omnipotens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16:24 AM »
I would be interested in finding out if this actually worked too.

Times are tough...paying someone 80 bucks to apply to extra places for me...might help out in the end.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
I signed up with Firstlawjob about a month ago. I am taking the Texas Bar at the end of February so I am not licenced yet, but I have gone on a few interviews. So I am hopeful.  :)

You also went to UT and apparently have no prospects so that says something about your intelligence.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »

You also went to UT and apparently have no prospects so that says something about your intelligence.

Apparently you're not going to Latham.  Seriously, where do you get off saying stuff like this in this economy?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

Apparently you're not going to Latham.  Seriously, where do you get off saying stuff like this in this economy?

If she went to Latham it would be unlikely she would use some TTT gimmick site to find work when she has a $75k stipend to ride out.

Miss P, don't you have doc review to do for your coveted PI career lol?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

If she went to Latham it would be unlikely she would use some TTT gimmick site to find work when she has a $75k stipend to ride out.

You've misunderstood me.  I said I assumed you weren't going to Latham, as in, you don't seem to be very in touch with how bad the job market is these days.  Let me see.  That means you're at Skadden.  Oops, no.  It must be Sidley?  No. . .

And personally, I won't ever have to do doc review.  But thanks for your concern. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »

You've misunderstood me.  I said I assumed you weren't going to Latham, as in, you don't seem to be very in touch with how bad the job market is these days.  Let me see.  That means you're at Skadden.  Oops, no.  It must be Sidley?  No. . .

And personally, I won't ever have to do doc review.  But thanks for your concern. 

Ahh, that's right.  You are doing uber prestigious PI work making those big bucks.....

Nope, I'm not at any of those firms that deferred and if I were (as some friends are), I wouldn't be using a gimmick site for work.  I'd be staying where I'm at now making my salary plus my fat stipend.  Sign me up.