Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Albany  (Read 2408 times)

Xaphon

• View Profile
Thoughts on Albany
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of Albany Law School in Albany, NY? Or even an opinion?

I have read all the literature I could find on it and it seems rather appealing, but the one thing that I have been unable to find is any student reviews...

Thanks.

trojanforlife

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Albany
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
well it's the capital of New York, and there are all sorts of federal and state courts there for you to clerk at (for which you're competing with almost no one, really). Albany is a pretty cool place too.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
From my understanding if you want to stay in the area it's not exceedingly difficult to land a job (it's one of the few schools I've heard net positive things said about on JDU). However if you want to head down to NYC that's an entirely different story.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

trojanforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
If you're looking to practice in upstate NY / the capital district area, you'll be in good shape. Albany Law is well known and respected there.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
It's supposed to be nice up there...and it's probably a great school. I have read/heard only good things about it.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
When I interned in Albany last summer a lot of the lawyers had gone there.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
I don't know much about the law school, but I have lived in the city of Albany for the last two years and can tell you that it's not for everyone. Even though Albany is the capital of New York, it really isn't a big city; it isn't the most beautiful or culturally interesting city I've ever been to, and it can be hard to find nightlife that isn't overcrowded with 18 year old girls from the surrounding universities. The winters are long and freezing. That being said, I have known a couple people who have gone to the law school and liked it, and it is generally a well respected school. I would say just to make sure that you visit before you commit to anything.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
I would take UB over Albany.  It's less expensive, and it generally places better in the state.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »
From my understanding if you want to stay in the area it's not exceedingly difficult to land a job
I'm surprised to hear that.  I have two relatives that went to Albany law, and they both had great difficulty landing a job in the Albany area after graduating.  One of them was unemployed almost a year after graduation, and what he did eventually get was not a regular job.  I don't know exactly where they were in class rank, but I know they were both in the top half.
Here is a link to some data on how many lawyers there are per capita in New York state:
http://www.nylj.com/nylawyer/adgifs/decisions/120808magchart6.pdf
As you can see, Albany has a lot of lawyers per capita.  Maybe there's a large need that needs to be filled simply because it's the state capital, but maybe not.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
I thought it looked pretty good when I was applying to schools, and they kicked me a decent amount of cash when they accepted me, so that was cool.

I also have a friend that's a 1L there right now and he seems to really like it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.