Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOWEST LSAT SCORE ACCEPTED  (Read 14917 times)

misbuble

• View Profile
Re: LOWEST LSAT SCORE ACCEPTED
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:18 PM »
Indeed

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
Just tell your friend not to waste his/her money going to the lowest ABA accredited school. Don't go to law school if you can't handle the LSAT, sure.
More importantly, don't go to any school that isn't going to guarantee you some sort a job as a consequence of attendance.

It should be T-14 or bust. Certainly Tier 1 or bust if that's a bit extreme for you and your friend. Don't hate me for being blunt, this my candid opinion.

This is a terrible post. I'm not commenting on the ABA part, just the "Tier 1 or bust". I understand it's just your opinion, but I find that to be complete BS. Why would you decide to not go to law school because you can't get into what a news agency terms "Tier 1"? I just completed a courthouse internship where I met at least 50 attorneys, probably closer to 75 or 100. I live in a major west coast market. I cant tell you how many people I met from Tier 3/4 that were very busy, successful attorneys. AND, a number of the judges and D.A.s in the building were from "bust" law schools as well.

I was constantly surprised at where people went to school. After being on this board for so long I had taken on the INCORRECT opinion that unless you went to a certain school, your employment prospects are forever doomed.

If you have the ability to be a good lawyer, you will find work. I don't care what school you went to, as long as you are a member of the bar, and you want to practice. Your post is terribly misguided.

Law school curriculums are very similar, and I think a school's name will only get you so far. I know people from T14's that hate their professors and their schools. Your abilities end up fueling your career, not your school's name. 
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
And, getting into law school isn't the only (or real) issue.  You probably do not want to go to law school for esoteric reasons.  You'd probably like to have a realistic chance to pass the bar exam.  Anybody who cannot pull an LSAT score at least in the high 140s is going to have a hard time learning the law.  (It is not just about memorizing laws.  It is about how to use them.  That involves an understanding of basic verbal logic). 

I trust you tell this to prospective customers who have diagnostic scores lower than 150, right?

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »
And, getting into law school isn't the only (or real) issue.  You probably do not want to go to law school for esoteric reasons.  You'd probably like to have a realistic chance to pass the bar exam.  Anybody who cannot pull an LSAT score at least in the high 140s is going to have a hard time learning the law.  (It is not just about memorizing laws.  It is about how to use them.  That involves an understanding of basic verbal logic). 

I trust you tell this to prospective customers who have diagnostic scores lower than 150, right?

No.  I was talking about an actual LSAT score.  A diagnostic score is absolutely meaningless.  If I had worked with them for a while and they still couldn't bust a 145, then, I'd imagine yes, I would tell them.  But, that has never happened.  I don't think it really could. 
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
Your potential at a Tier 2 school or lower is capped compared to T14.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
Your potential at a Tier 2 school or lower is capped compared to T14.

This is the type of ground breaking news that I troll internet message boards for.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm only stating the obvious because for some people, as in the person initially reffered to in OP's post, they think any law school is going to get them a high paying job as a lawyer. This simply is not true.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
You go to law school to gain connections and of course learn

Wrong. Most people go to law school to GET A JOB.  It is professional school. You generally go in order to get into a profession. So 1) you should not go to a school that fails out a significant number of its students before graduation and 2) you should not go to a school where your prospects for jobs are so low that you have to be near the top of the class to have one or where half of the class doesn't have a job (ANY job!) 9 months after graduation.  I think you can go to most tier 1s, some tier 2s, but I think it's generally too risky at a lot of T3s/T4s in this economy.  It is what it is. Some people take on the risk and win at the tables, but others come away with their pockets turned out and no jackpot.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
Store Your Nose put it more eloquently than me, but he/she is correct. Personally it was T14 or bust. I would be wary of anything below Tier 1. Why do you think my post was horribly misguided? I'm not attempting to boost my ego by putting someone down. I don't want people to make potentially disastrous decisions because they aren't savvy to the mechanics of the legal market. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
Just tell your friend not to waste his/her money going to the lowest ABA accredited school. Don't go to law school if you can't handle the LSAT, sure.
More importantly, don't go to any school that isn't going to guarantee you some sort a job as a consequence of attendance.

It should be T-14 or bust. Certainly Tier 1 or bust if that's a bit extreme for you and your friend. Don't hate me for being blunt, this my candid opinion.

This is a terrible post. I'm not commenting on the ABA part, just the "Tier 1 or bust". I understand it's just your opinion, but I find that to be complete BS. Why would you decide to not go to law school because you can't get into what a news agency terms "Tier 1"? I just completed a courthouse internship where I met at least 50 attorneys, probably closer to 75 or 100. I live in a major west coast market. I cant tell you how many people I met from Tier 3/4 that were very busy, successful attorneys. AND, a number of the judges and D.A.s in the building were from "bust" law schools as well.

I was constantly surprised at where people went to school. After being on this board for so long I had taken on the INCORRECT opinion that unless you went to a certain school, your employment prospects are forever doomed.

If you have the ability to be a good lawyer, you will find work. I don't care what school you went to, as long as you are a member of the bar, and you want to practice. Your post is terribly misguided.

Law school curriculums are very similar, and I think a school's name will only get you so far. I know people from T14's that hate their professors and their schools. Your abilities end up fueling your career, not your school's name. 

While I believe this poster is well intentioned, it is certainly misguided. I went to a T4 and transferred to a T20 and I can tell you the difference is remarkable in every way. Every time I see someone telling somebody that the rankings don't matter I cringe. Even if the rankings are bs, they matter to many people so it is in your own best interest to go to the best school you can get into. While it is true that abilities fuel a career, there are simply many doors shut for lower ranked law students. Trust someone with experience in this, go to the best school you can get into.