Law School Discussion

Hey Ladies . . . Where do you buy your suits?

Re: Hey Ladies . . . Where do you buy your suits?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
BCBG is extremely fashionable and well-made.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
I think the local boutiques are your best bet... of course price is an issue but to use a cliche you get what you pay for.  The suit is an investment.  Buy a high quality suit or two and get them taylored... It makes the suit look 1000 times better.  I bought one suit from Franco's fine clothier and another from a local boutique called Frances Khan in Virginia.  It ran me a pretty penny but you have to dress to impress right?

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
I get jcrew, I get it on sale and I get it online.  Although perhaps not always the safest route for many, I know jcrew stuff in general fits me extremely well.  My last jcrew suit was $160 and it was the Super 120s wool which just feels so light and drapes nicely.  I also mention that they make city fit pants which are a mid-rise- not too low but I hate high waisted pants so a great alternative.

I also own BR suits and some Anne Klein suits- the BR ones are ok, though the fabric quality is not amazing.  I hate my anne klein suit- although it looks nice, the fabric doesn't breathe well enough for me.  I hate being hot in suits. 

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
I should also mention that I'm 5'9" and a busty lady- so don't shy away from jcrew even if you are too. 

SASS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 05:43:32 PM »
I should also mention that I'm 5'9" and a busty lady- so don't shy away from jcrew even if you are too. 

I have the opposite problem. I am 5'3" and pear shaped. Petite skirts are always too tight at the waste and regulars way too long. Pants are the same issue. Jacket's look like I am wearing my Dad's. ugh.

As a result of my pear like figure, pencil skirts are just out, they look ridiculous on me.

Someone needs to open a Women's Wearhouse or something. A store like that would make a killing in metro areas like DC or NYC. It is so much easier for my husband to find suits that fit than it has ever been for me. I would love to get something tailored but that will probably have to wait until after I graduate and have some money (fingers crossed).

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
I like Jones New York - generally I can find good deals on them either at Macy's at the end of the season, or a JNY outlet.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »

I have the opposite problem. I am 5'3" and pear shaped. Petite skirts are always too tight at the waste  and regulars way too long. Pants are the same issue. Jacket's look like I am wearing my Dad's. ugh.

Buy them a size up and have the waist taken in.  Unless there's a ton of trim around the waist, (which a good suit probably won't have), it's an easy and fairly inexpensive alteration.