Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Ladies . . . Where do you buy your suits?  (Read 2947 times)

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hey Ladies . . . Where do you buy your suits?
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »
I have been looking for a good woman's skirted suit for a long time. I just bought one that will do, it looks nice but I am still not 100% happy and this is the first one I have found that was acceptable for a long time. I think the problem is that the new trend is the pencil skirts which, unless you are really tall and skinny, I think can look slutty.

Anyone know where to find a conservative suit?

Thanks!

laurenlaw

• View Profile
Re: Hey Ladies . . . Where do you buy your suits?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
I personally love the Ann Taylor triacetate suits.  All triacetate from them comes the same color, so you can easily mix and match pieces and develop different suits around one jacket.   anntaylor.com

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
I have been looking for a good woman's skirted suit for a long time. I just bought one that will do, it looks nice but I am still not 100% happy and this is the first one I have found that was acceptable for a long time. I think the problem is that the new trend is the pencil skirts which, unless you are really tall and skinny, I think can look slutty.

Anyone know where to find a conservative suit?

Thanks!

I enjoy Banana Republic. You can mix and match pieces. Also, if you can go to an outlet they have excellent deals.   

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
Ditto on Banana Republic, especially their "Monogram" collection which is a little more highend and high quality. I'm a J.Crew fan as well.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »
Was just going to post Banana Republic too :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
Pencil skirts = classy and classic, not slutty.

If a woman looks slutty in a pencil skirt, then she's probably buying the wrong size.  Some women look trashy because the skirt is too tight across the butt.  Curvier women need to buy the size up that fits their behind and then have it tailored to fit in the waist.  (I know this from experience - I'm neither tall nor a size 2)

ETA: Forgot my suit recommendation.  I agree with Ann Taylor, but ultimately, you should just spend a few hours at the mall and try them on (as I'm sure you know).  While Ann Taylor suit fits me extremely well (except for hemming), J. Crew just doesn't work for me.  And I've heard the *exact* opposite from one of my friends.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
Pencil skirts = classy and classic, not slutty.

If a woman looks slutty in a pencil skirt, then she's probably buying the wrong size.  Some women look trashy because the skirt is too tight across the butt.  Curvier women need to buy the size up that fits their behind and then have it tailored to fit in the waist.  (I know this from experience - I'm neither tall nor a size 2)

Ditto! Pencil skirts are GREAT! You need to wear heels with them though.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Yeah, the pencil skirt thing just doesn't work for me, I have extremely short legs. But rock it if you can!

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »
I just want to put a plug in for vintage. Takes longer to find something great, but well worth it.

There are usually consignment stores in any metro area, and there are tons of online resources.

I am a big Ann Taylor fan for new. I find the quality to be much higher than BR. I have 10 year old Ann Taylor stuff that is still going strong, but all my BR items fall apart after a year or two.

Also, Neiman Marcus has outrageous sales online.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »
I just want to put a plug in for vintage. Takes longer to find something great, but well worth it.

There are usually consignment stores in any metro area, and there are tons of online resources.

I am a big Ann Taylor fan for new. I find the quality to be much higher than BR. I have 10 year old Ann Taylor stuff that is still going strong, but all my BR items fall apart after a year or two.

Also, Neiman Marcus has outrageous sales online.

What's Neiman's return policy like for online purchases of sale stuff?  I've never purchased a suit online, even at stores I know work for me, because odds are that it won't fit well.

And I agree w/ the quality of Ann Taylor.  An Ann Taylor can potentially last for a very long time.  It's not like a Chanel or anything, but it's very decent.  For questionable quality, Banana is always hit or miss, and J. Crew has turned to crap (at least the stuff I've purchased).  For the money J. Crew costs, the quality is just not there.