Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Median at T20 wanting to do patent law  (Read 1896 times)

Supervik

• View Profile
    • Email
Median at T20 wanting to do patent law
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
am I in trouble w/ biglaw prospects? or do I just have a perspective problem and am feeling screwed for no good reason?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Median at T20 wanting to do patent law
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
Any responses from OCI?

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
What's your background?  If you have an highly desired background you are going to be just fine.  If not, you still are likely in good shape, but this question is impossible to answer without first knowing your science/tech background.

Edit:  Just saw your LSN, Dude you are an EE with an MS. and work experience.  You are the hottest commodity in IP right now.  You'll be fine.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
you should be able to get big law or at least a good IP boutique, even ITE.
2L

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »
I was in a very similar position after the end of my first semester. My grades went up a lot 2d, and I had a lot of options (had offers from NYC big firms that do a lot of patent work and a CA boutique which is where I ended up) for 2L summer. I was scrambling a bit for 1L summer, but I ended up in a good public interest position that gave me a lot to talk about in my interviews.

I cannot stress this enough: GO, GO, GO the Loyola Patent Interview program. It is usually the last week in July. You ought to be able to get something out that. I will say that I got very little out of my schools local OCI, but most of those firms weren't very IP focused. There is also a pretty good one for the south east that is a few days before, if you want to work in the south east.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:01 PM »
I cannot stress this enough: GO, GO, GO the Loyola Patent Interview program. It is usually the last week in July. You ought to be able to get something out that. I will say that I got very little out of my schools local OCI, but most of those firms weren't very IP focused. There is also a pretty good one for the south east that is a few days before, if you want to work in the south east.

Yes, the Loyola PLIP is strongly recommended.  If you aren't landing anything good after callbacks from that, AIPLA has another interview event in late October. 
2L

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:31 AM »
It depends where you go and the curve.  What school, what curve? 

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
am I in trouble w/ biglaw prospects? or do I just have a perspective problem and am feeling screwed for no good reason?

I'm always amazed at how freaked out people get. I go to a tier 2 school and every engineer I know (including those in the middle of the class) has landed a summer associate position paying top of the market.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

Yes, the Loyola PLIP is strongly recommended.  If you aren't landing anything good after callbacks from that, AIPLA has another interview event in late October. 
[/quote]

I am a prospective student having a 15K/yr scholarship to DePaul and maybe something to Loyola. So if it is much cheaper for me to go to DePaul, is Loyola still a better option because of the PLIP? DePaul has a ranked IP program and, at least on paper, seems stronger for IP than Loyola.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

I am a prospective student having a 15K/yr scholarship to DePaul and maybe something to Loyola. So if it is much cheaper for me to go to DePaul, is Loyola still a better option because of the PLIP? DePaul has a ranked IP program and, at least on paper, seems stronger for IP than Loyola.
[/quote]

I don't belive you need to go to Loyala to attend the PLIP, I think its just held there, at least thats wthe way it is with other law carear fairs held at other schools.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.