Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are there large scholarships for 2L's that made Law Review?  (Read 792 times)

SSDD

• View Profile
Are there large scholarships for 2L's that made Law Review?
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
I understand it is extremely hard to make top ten percent at a T20 school, and even harder to make Law Review.  Still, it's possible.  From what I've read on most posts on LSD, people seem to be stuck on the notion that whatever financial aid they have coming in to law school is what they'll have the entire time they're there.  So here's my question:

If someone comes into one of these schools as a 1L with no scholarships, and proceeds to do extremely well and makes Law Review after that first year, what are the odds of that person then receiving a significant scholarship as a 2L and 3L?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Are there large scholarships for 2L's that made Law Review?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
I understand it is extremely hard to make top ten percent at a T20 school, and even harder to make Law Review.  Still, it's possible.  From what I've read on most posts on LSD, people seem to be stuck on the notion that whatever financial aid they have coming in to law school is what they'll have the entire time they're there.  So here's my question:

If someone comes into one of these schools as a 1L with no scholarships, and proceeds to do extremely well and makes Law Review after that first year, what are the odds of that person then receiving a significant scholarship as a 2L and 3L?

You would probably have to apply transfer to a more highly-ranked school and get in, and then use that as a bargaining chip to haggle for more (or any) scholarship money with your old school. I know people who transferred to my school who said that they were offered big scholarships as an incentive not to transfer.

I suppose it's possible that a school could just decide to give a highly-ranked 2L or 3L a significant scholarship out of the goodness of their hearts, but it seems pretty darned unlikely that they will offer any money unless they actually think you will leave. Schools give scholarships as incentives for things they want you to do (attend, not transfer), not as rewards for a job well done.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

SSDD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
Man, what a bunch of pricks......

That does make sense though, unfortunately.

So, if someone were going to UCLA, and somehow managed to be a complete badass and received an offer from, say, U of VA (with scholarship money also) and then convinced UCLA they were going to U of VA (why not?), they might then get some scholarship money.

The odds aren't lookin' too good. (but it IS possible)

MaxtoneFour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »

Speaking from experience, I can say your chances of getting more scholarship money are near zero.
East 1999 is where you'll find me.

2L at Vanderbilt University Law School (Class of 2010)

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

Speaking from experience, I can say your chances of getting more scholarship money are near zero.

They have no incentive to give you money. If you transfer out, they fill the slot with a transfer that will pay full sticker price.

I'm speaking from ignorance on this, but I can't imagine that transfer schools give scholarships to get kids. They know the kids transferring in will pay full price, and it's more beneficial to use your scholarship budget to try to attract quality 0L candidates, because of the US News Rankings.