Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Something to think about before you go to law school.  (Read 1529 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Something to think about before you go to law school.
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »
I'm reasonably happy that I'm attending law school... I didn't know that I would like it, but I got lucky.   
I was thinking today about how upset I would be if I hated law school.  You'll probably spend between 35,000 and 100,000 on law school (which you are constantly reminded of)  but even more importantly, you'll probably spend over 5000 hours (55 hrs/wk 32 wks/yr * 3 yrs) studying/going to class over your law school career. (Some people will spend a lot more than that)
Even if you only made 10 bucks an hour at a dead end job, you could make 50,000 in that time period.  So that's another 17k per year that you are missing out on.
Aside from the financial opportunity cost, think about what you could do with 5000 hours...625 8-hour days. 

A talented person could probably get pretty good at guitar, learn to speak Chinese fairly well, and start their own business in that amount of time.

Law school is interesting, stimulating, and a good investment for a large percentage of graduates, but you should still think about what you're giving up.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Something to think about before you go to law school.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
I'm reasonably happy that I'm attending law school... I didn't know that I would like it, but I got lucky.   
I was thinking today about how upset I would be if I hated law school.  You'll probably spend between 35,000 and 100,000 on law school (which you are constantly reminded of)  but even more importantly, you'll probably spend over 5000 hours (55 hrs/wk 32 wks/yr * 3 yrs) studying/going to class over your law school career. (Some people will spend a lot more than that)
Even if you only made 10 bucks an hour at a dead end job, you could make 50,000 in that time period.  So that's another 17k per year that you are missing out on.
Aside from the financial opportunity cost, think about what you could do with 5000 hours...625 8-hour days. 

A talented person could probably get pretty good at guitar, learn to speak Chinese fairly well, and start their own business in that amount of time.

Law school is interesting, stimulating, and a good investment for a large percentage of graduates, but you should still think about what you're giving up.

you forgot to mention you give up your soul as well, part of the deal, by 3L everyone is bitter and mean. There you have something else to look forward to!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
you forgot to mention you give up your soul as well, part of the deal, by 3L everyone is bitter and mean. There you have something else to look forward to!

speak for yourself.  i'm happy and pleasant.

your the post child for bitter, mean and sexually repressed
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »

i think this more accurately describes you, no?

no, I'm a-sexual

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »

i think this more accurately describes you, no?

no, I'm a-sexual

well bitter and mean then.

but I was that way before law school, law school just honed my skills

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »
You make some good points, but 55 hrs a week seems way overboard to me. Even if you do a journal and a bunch of other extra curriculars you won't do so many hours (at least on average). I generally seem to study more than my peers and probably put in 40 productive hours a week.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:47 PM »

that train left the station a long time ago
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »

I agree with your assessment. Had I any common sense or entrepreneurial inclinations, I would have done something like what you suggest. Prospective 1Ls, beware.

However, there is no way in hell I've ever spent anywhere near 55 hours a week on law school. That's Wally territory.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
mmmmm...ok...thought about it. ;)

I'm going!