Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Effect of no GPA?  (Read 727 times)

tshiph

• View Profile
Effect of no GPA?
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »
I hate to add another superfluous post, but here it is: I haven't spent any significant time on LSN until tonight and now of course I'm pretty agitated. I have a LSAT score of 168, which I know is decent but not stellar, but no GPA because I went to a school that does not give grades. I anticipate that my LORs were strong because I've read several narrative evaluations as well as letters written for other purposes from both of my recommenders. (My undergrad school, by the way, though small is not unheard of and has a relatively strong national reputation.)

I've gotten into a few schools at this point, but deferred at Georgetown and placed on the preferred waitlist at Maryland. I'm not overly surprised by the former, but was definitely not expecting not to get into MD right away, especially after looking on LSN and seeing that people with significantly lower LSAT scores have already been accepted. I know I should probably just chill out, but I'm wondering how much I should expect that my lack of a GPA has impacted my cycle so far.

I'm sure not too many people are in the same boat as far as not having any grades, but if anyone has input on this I'd be appreciative.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Effect of no GPA?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:17:23 AM »
I imagine Maryland is playing yield protect. A 168 would put you well above their 75th percentile. If you really wanted to go there, you should email them to express your interest in attending.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
Your application package is under much more scrutiny when you apply without a GPA.

That said, Maryland yield-protected you, send a LOCI.

lawcatl12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:27 PM »
I went to a high school that had no GPA and they made sure to send all prospective colleges a packet explaining the school and the philosophy and the caliber of students, etc.  When I started talking to the law schools they told me they had heard of my high school for this same reason. 

I would call your college and ask them if they have any literature that they send to grad schools, etc. about the lack of grades/GPA.  They should have something if they have their stuff together. You probably aren't the first one to have run into this situation.  Then I would call the schools you have applied to and talk to a person in admissions to see if they have heard of your school or not.  If not, then tell them you will be sending them additional information and ask them where and to whom to send it to specifically.

Good Luck!